Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jigger Totters
Is there a place near Twin Falls that I can buy some Jigger Totters? Sportsmans Warehouse doesn't carry them.
[signature]
jiggertotters.com is where we got ours. Not sure if any other place has them
I picked up one yesterday at the Sportsmans in Idaho Falls. Not real impressed with it today. Seems like a cheap rod holder that doesn't do much else, except it cost 4x what a good rod holder does. I know a lot of guys like them but I don't see any advantage to them. You could probably make a much better version with some stiff wire and a pair of pliers.
[signature]
They are made by a guy from Nampa who is very cool. I would send him a message on his website and he can tell you where to buy them or how to buy them directly from him.

I have caught a lot of fish with them. They detect light bites and are better than a rod holder in my opinion. You can walk around and tap the trotter with your scoop and a fish often hits a few moments later.
[signature]
Thanks, I have exchanged a couple emails with the owner this afternoon.
[signature]
[quote maghunter]I picked up one yesterday at the Sportsmans in Idaho Falls. Not real impressed with it today. Seems like a cheap rod holder that doesn't do much else, except it cost 4x what a good rod holder does. I know a lot of guys like them but I don't see any advantage to them. You could probably make a much better version with some stiff wire and a pair of pliers.[/quote]

I agree. And they're a pain to pack around.
[signature]
If you were close I would give you one of my own version of them.
[signature]
So they don't measure up to how they appear to work in the videos? Also I was under the impression that they folded flat for transport. Please let me know what you don't like about them.
[signature]
[quote kentofnsl]So they don't measure up to how they appear to work in the videos? Also I was under the impression that they folded flat for transport. Please let me know what you don't like about them.[/quote]

I purchased them early 2011 and they do not fold flat.
[signature]
Are you sure your not possibly confusing the jiggertotter for the Jaw Jacker bought one at Sportsmans and those do fold down flat.
[signature]
I really like my jigger totters for several reasons. As stated earlier they detect very light bites that a standard stationary rod holder will not detect. They essentially eliminate rods getting pulled through the hole. I have lost rods that were seemingly "secure" with a standard holder. They use the wind to automatically jig for you. They are very light, especially when compared to other holders. They do take up some space but are stackable (do not fold flat). When you do get a strike there is no need to fiddle around getting the pole out of the holder, you just pick the rod right up off the frame.

Overall, my jigger totters have increased my catch rate significantly and I am 100% satisfied with my purchase. I also like to support local folks.

Tight lines,

Cole
[signature]
[quote 2dogs]Are you sure your not possibly confusing the jiggertotter for the Jaw Jacker bought one at Sportsmans and those do fold down flat.[/quote]

Nope, I just thought they also folded flat.
[signature]
You can glue a piece of plastic to a clothes pin and put it on your rod to make it dance in the wind . I love my JT's .Curt G.
[signature]
[quote curt69]You can glue a piece of plastic to a clothes pin and put it on your rod to make it dance in the wind . I love my JT's .Curt G.[/quote]

That's pretty ingenious! [Image: happy.gif]
[signature]
I haven't seen them at Sportsmans or anywhere else for that matter. My brother in law in boise contacted the guy that makes them directly and bought mine that way. I thought it was a good deal getting 5 for $25 last year. As mentioned they don't fold flat, but they stack and can sit on top of most the stuff in the sled so it's not tough to pack around. They do detect bites well, my problem is I usually don't get many bites anyway! When I do I know it though.
[signature]
I bent my own holders out of wire hangers and made a part off to the side that I tape a piece of cardboard to. I thought I was being pretty smart, but looks like its an all around good idea![cool]
[signature]
I'm also going to cut some 9-10" circles out of cardboard, then cut a section out of them for the line to be in, and then paint them with some black Plastidip. They will be my hole covers for the rods I leave to dead stick. I was also thinking about attaching a string to them that can be attached to the rod holder so they won't blow away or be lost when they are thrown off the hole to land a fish.

I'm thinking it will be a lightweight and cheap way to keep the ice off the hole a bit longer.
[signature]
There are other options if you are interested. Here is what I use and I can carry 10 in my fishing bag with no problems, as they fold flat. The rod they come with to hold the pole is also 1st class, the one in the picture is something I made up so I could use it with more than one pole. The one that came with it is out in my truck and I am to lazy to get it.
[signature]
The one I bought at Sportsmans was actually a Mr. Jigger (http://mrjigger.com/) similar and yet different. for $14 I wouldn't recommend it. After looking at the jigger totter pictures I can tell they would work better. for starters the mr jigger doesn't allow you enough room for your reel handle, and the jigger totter is offset enough that the reel handle won't hit the side. I tried the Mr Jigger on a cork handled pole and while I was trying to find the balance point it made a mess out of the cork. When I tried it on the kitchen counter it bounced up and down like a rubber ball, I thought it was pretty cool. But then once I got it on the ice the resistance of the water on the jig would only give me about 2 jerky bounces before it would stop bouncing. And then after tapping it a couple times with my foot to keep it jigging it would either fall off the supports or the reel handle would hit the side. I'll have to give the jigger totter a try, although my sled is overflowing with fishing gadgets already.
[signature]