Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CJ Strike Where? Trout on a Fly
Where at CJ Strike would you recommend fly fishing for trout? I am mainly interested in Feb, Mar, maybe Apr time frame. In general, what time of day given that time of year? Typical streamers or do you go smaller with midge and nymphs? Thx!
[signature]
First, Zach, welcome to the site. Do you have a boat? Tube or 'toon? If so, I would recommend that you take the road that goes down the "peninsula" of land between the Snake and Bruneau arms. You take the road that heads down to Cove Arm but continue going straight. There are some smallish signs, but then they abandon you at other intersections. I would go by day the first time, and you will eventually find it. It drops down to the reservoir across from the dam, where there is a pumping station. There are typically lots of trout in that area. I would use small streamers or wooly worms or buggers. Black/red works well, as does browns and greens. It is somewhat more protected over there, at times at least. Bump 'em along the bottom slowly. If you have a boat, see Aluma's recent posting regarding keel weights and steelhead flies. We both use the same fly and with great results. Good luck, Mike
[signature]
Pontoon boat. When I feel like it, I can rig up my trolling motor. I know the wind can get nasty there, I have seen it first hand duck hunting there.

I know where the turn is to Cove Arm from the county road, if I remember correctly the road does a 90 degree turn there, so it sounds like I just stay on the county road.

Oh, I would only get 2 or 3 outings at best at this time of year, so I don't think I be denting the population too much Smile I release most anyway.
[signature]