Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First time out this year
Went out in my new tube today. Great day for it, sunny 75 ,but the water here in Ohio is still too cold to not have on waders.
The only waders I have at this time are neoprene boot waders and I had bought some Classic Accessories step in high thrust float tube fins and I was on my way.
When I pushed off I thought I was looking good to go. Wrong,
Now I have tubed for years in the past and never had any problems at all. At that time I had stocking foot waders and swim fins that worked wery well.
So as I sat there floundering and not going any where it was all I could do to get back to shore.
Are the fins and boot wades the problem??? I know that it was alot harder to flex my foot as I had done in the past.
I would like some input on a great day gone bad.
Thanks kokomoslow
[signature]
I wear boot foot hippers, no problem. I have used Caddis, Browning, Backpacking, Force Fins and now Omegas, no problem.
Not sure what is going on friend.
[signature]
Thanks for the quick responce F G. I think that the stiffnes of the fin and the lack of flexing of the boot wader may be was a bad combo. The fins are stiff as a board. Think it is time to go back to the old set up. Anyway it was a good to be out even as a test run.[Smile]
[signature]
My Force fins are very stiff. It is a different style of kicking. I hated my scubas at first for that reason. The stiffer fins are a lift up. Imagine a child sitting on your foot and you are bouncing them, that is how the fins work. Or peddling a bicycle backwards.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]It is all a matter of being able to transfer energy (kick) into propulsion. There are several factors at work. The length and stiffness of the fin blade is one issue. Smaller and stiffer...such as the fin you were using...requires more energy to go further and it beats you up. The boot foot waders are also likely a part of the problem. If you are sitting down inside a tube...rather than higher in a toon or inflated seat pontube...more of your leg will be in the water and you will be using a "flutter" swimming kick rather than a vertical push kick. That requires more flexibility in the ankles than you are able to get from a supportive boot foot.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]For anybody planning to utilize fin power alone, without oars or motor, it is better to have stocking foot waders and longer and more flexible fins. You will enjoy the day more and will suffer less that night.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
My experiance with the neoprene boot wader was very much on the same track as Kokomoslow's experiance. Those heavy, clumsy, boot foot bottoms did not allow for the ankle movement I needed. I was alone ,and actually had concerns that I might have to wait for a breeze to drift my carcass to shore lol . Once I got those things off I gave them to my grandsons for hunting.
The water temp was up to 45 degrees when I started this year, and my Simms G3 convertables have held off even a chill for my feet with only a single pair of cotton socks. ( I do realize that I should not wear cotton, but I am saving my nylons for a night on the town.[Image: whistle.gif][Image: bobwink.gif] ROLF)
[signature]
It takes practice with fins and you develop skill and strength as you go. It is not impossible to do with boot waders, but it will be more exhausting. FG nailed it perfectly when she said like pedalling a bike backwards.

You can get the basic idea by dropping your 2 feet down vertical, then pulling both together up toward the surface in front of you, while keeping your knees as straight as possible. This will produce a single shoving power stroke that will move the tube away from where your feet come up. Drop down your feet/fins slowly to reload for another power kick. Sometimes a series of these unified kicks is useful if you have to move quickly. Normally you just do this with one foot at a time to get your backward pedalling motion. Turning is done by applying more power with one leg or various tilts of the foot as you get a feel for it. That's what I do anyway....

Pon
[signature]
Thanks everyone just fixed the problem. New waders and fins. Soon to test Thanks again
[signature]