Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New-ish ride break-in with sushi-board
I apologize for the lack of pictures (as in no pictures) in my report. I think most of you have seen carp, white bass, bullhead catfish, and black crappie. Be that as it may, I finally got to get out on Utah Lake today with my new duds from TubeDude.

My pet float tube came back from the Tube-atorium with new PVC and a new "sushi board". Technically my tube is a couple o' years old so not new but with the new "accessories", new-ish!

I launched from Lindon boat harbor at 7:30 this morning with hopes of catching anything. It had been so long since my last trip on the water, I didn't even care if all I caught was carp. I worked the private boat slips in Lindon for about half an hour and picked up nothing, nada, zip, zilch. Marked plenty of suspended fish. Water was only 51 degrees but I hoped to visit them later to see if any would play.

I moved out to work the north dike of the harbor. I had a couple of TubeDude wobble jigs rigged in tandem. Second cast BLAM. Something hit and hit hard. Drag singing, line going out, I fought it for a while. Whenever it came to the top, it wasn't orange (not a carp), but it was something big. A few more turns on my tube and it popped free. I checked the line and it was cut! I haven't had that happen with Silver Thread Excalibur before. Don't know if it was a toothy critter or not. Put another RC killer on and the next cast got a healthy female carp chock full of eggs. Bad news: she ain't swimming anymore.

I continued to work in hopes of getting some more inquiries but got zilch. Same story as I moved north to the mouth of Battle Creek. Marked a few fish but no joy. I headed back to the harbor as the wind picked up and I picked up some crappie. Then I got picked up by BigFishTaco and he was nice enough to tow me down to the BubbleUp. There was a little flow today and we marked a lot of fish. Caught a few on RC killers and PINK (how cute!)/chartreuse tube jigs. All were white bass, all were caught vertical jigging. Had to work it slow and put it right in front of them. Headed back to the harbor and the water had warmed to 61 degrees. Picked up another crappie and a nice bullhead. Caught everything today on small tube jigs tipped with a little crawler. Had zero action on my white bass minnows.

I loved being able to have a work surface today. Made rigging and baiting a lot easier. Big thanks to TubeDude, RubberMaid, and my wife (in no particular order) for helping me out.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Sounds like the new modifications have been well initiated. Glad you got a few fishies to stave off your withdrawal symptoms.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Sorry for your loss...the new jig prototype. I know the guy who makes them if you need replacements, but at an exhorbitant price. Once you get "hooked" the price goes up. Know what I mean?[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]How did you guys like the new "front deck" design? I will be doing a post or writeup on that soon. Took some more pics to flesh it out.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Yeah I couldn't believe I lost that one first rattle out of the box. As a consolation, I told myself it was just a huge carp and I hadn't properly wet the line when I snugged down the knot...yeah right. I'm hooked like a junky now.

The front deck along with the sushi board setup was really slick. The quickdraw holders are excellent and the board made me feel like I had more room for my arms to rest.. I watched BigFishTaco catch some white bass by simply putting a rod in the holder, letting the jig go to about a foot off the bottom, and simply rocking his tube (just like you told us) to impart some action. Pretty slick. Can't wait to try this on Starvation for some perch.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]For the benefit of members who wonder what the heck we are talking about, here are a couple of pics I snapped yesterday of my setup.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The front deck PVC setup is secured to a wood block inside the pocket and is very sturdy. It allows the attachment of apron fasteners and rod holders as seen in the pics. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The "quick draw" rod holders let you insert or remove the ends of the rod handles quickly and easily without having to pull them out of a tube. So you can just grab and lift when a fish hits. I have been using them over a year and they are great.[/#0000ff]
[signature]