Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
17/18 # Electric with Renegade
I've got an old 17 or 18# Shakespeare electric. How will it work with the Renegade or any other frameless pontoon? Will it be slow...ok for trolling or useless? Thanks.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]The power is not nearly as pertinent as the length of the shaft. When mounted the motor needs to be deep enough to clear the edges of the craft by several inches...to allow for surge, etc. And if it is running too shallow it will cavitate (come out of the water) when there are waves from wind or boats.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]A 30" shaft will work but a 36" shaft is better. But the power should be enough for trolling and it will get you wherever you want to go faster than fin power alone. However, I think the oars will probably move you faster than the light motor for high speed motatin'.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]You won't know for sure unless you try it. If you have the motor then rig it up and give it a shot. Just be open to the factors I mentioned and be prepared to upgrade to a longer shaft motor.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Agree, but it looks strong enough. 32, 38 or 55 lb thrust? They are suppose to have 36" shafts if I am remembering right.
[signature]
TubeDude,

Many thanks. That was very helpful. I'm saving the page for future reference. And, I have saved your "book on cd" to review from time to time.

You really help your fellow fishermen, and I greatly appreciate that.

Brookies
[signature]
Flygoddess,

I read all of your posts. Thank you for a lot of great advice and for your dedication in helping fellow anglers.

Brookies
[signature]