Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
planning a week of fishin'
I am planning a week in which I intend on fishing a different water, searching for a different quarry each day. I will have a week in which to do this trip, staying in colorado for budget reasons. I plan on heading south and working north, fishing both lakes and rivers. so far I have 4 lakes and 1 river picked out. fishing for wipers, lake trout, pike, rainbows, kokonee. Still not sure what my final lake will be, but I have bout 4 weeks before I get my time off, plenty of time to ponder.
When I am on the lake I will be in my float tube. I have not fished for lake trout or pike exclusively, kind of looking on some advice there. I fish with flies and lures, tend not to use much live bait, but will if its absolutely needed. really the only fish I need advice on is lake trout.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Pretty hard to offer realistic advice when we don't know what water you will be fishing, what the depths are and what the fish patterns are throughout the year. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Sounds like you will be going during the warm part of the summer, when lake trout are typically quite deep. You need to get info on the lake you will be fishing to find the deep spots and make sure you can safely reach and fish them from a tube. On some lakes the deep summer spots are dangerously far offshore...if a wind should come up.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]No matter where lakers are found, one of the best ways to fish them is with tube jigs...vertical presentation...with or without a piece of fish meat for sweetener. Again, do some research on the lake you choose and you should get some clues.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]One of the key requirements is a good sonar. You need to be able to find the fish and ideally to watch them in "real time"...along with your jig...to know how they are reacting to your lures and presentation. Otherwise you are fishing blind and won't even know when you are in the right zone. Catching big lake trout in waters that are hit hard by knowledgeable anglers is very tough if you are not properly prepared.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The pike are another matter. They should be just offshore along breaklines near shallow water...where they have finished spawning. Now they will be actively feeding. Look for brush or rocks...or other structure. Pike are ambush predators and when you drag a big crankbait, spinner or swimbait by their lair they rush out to grab it. Be sure to use a short length of wire or you will donate lures to the toothy critter fund. Just like fishing for smallies in Deer Creek only you use bigger lures and catch bigger fish.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Good luck and have fun. Look forward to your report...and some pictures.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I haave been doing my fair share of online hunting on info. the colorado board is not nearly as active as the utah board was, but I am sure it will pick up. The lake I intend on fishing for lake trout in is 262 feet deep in its deepest point.
I am hoping to find some good fishing maps or topo maps of the area before there was a lake there. I know the lake has a couple islands a short ways offshore, easily within kicking distance. thinking maybe the channel between or just on the other side. that island could be a life savor if said wind comes up.
The Lake I intend to fish wipers is full of lots of little bays and nooks and crannies, it should be a lot of fun to float on, looks to be fished heavily for all types of bass as well as walleye, so perhaps I might have a good multi-species day there.
as always TD, you are a wealth of knowledge
[signature]