Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Assault XX Upgrades
Thanks to TubeDude and Flygoddess for the inspiration to spend the day improving my Scadden Assault XX for the upcoming season.

My wife got tired of sitting on the stock seat for 6-8 hours at a time, and wanted more back support and the ability to turn around to talk to me or help net fish.

Picked up this swivel seat stand that sits on the front deck with the legs sitting on some varnished wood to evenly distribute the weight. When properly cinched down, it is solid as a rock and even more comfortable than we ever expected. It might be a little too high, but we'll take it out for a test run before making the irreversible modification of shortening the legs.

TubeDude's book and posts gave me some good ideas on rigging up my new Humminbird 597c HD DI fish finder using PVC pipe for the display mount with a swing-up pole to lower and remove the transducer from the water.

Can't wait to try it out.
[signature]
Interesting. I thought you were putting the seat on top of the seat box. I am interested in how this works.
On the sonar, where will you mount the screen and will you be able to row. That is what we had to figure out.
[signature]
Yeah, that was always a problem with the Fishin Buddy. Had to pull it out of the water to row.

I knew this would be an issue, especially with the length of the Sawyer oars. I installed the oars on the boat so I could test different configurations. Ended up with the transducer on the inside but with the PVC pipe low enough and tight enough against the pontoon to not get in the way of the oar. Hopefully it will work as well out on the water.

Like yours, the PVC pipe holding the transducer pivots so it can be swung up out of the water when needed.

My display location is also similar to yours being at the front end of the zip bag with a 12" long plank of wood extending back under the bag. The bag straps hold it down and when the battery is placed on top, it is very stable.

The display stand is made with rough wood because I wanted to be able to easily modify it as I was testing configurations. If this works out on the water, I will put together something with a more finished look.

The raised seat gives it more of a drift boat feel, and is very comfortable and stable. Looks a little taller in the photo than it really is.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Lookin' good. Hope it all works out well for you. As I have discovered many times over the years it is tough to get it 100% right on the first shot. Usually takes some experimentation and refinement to develop the "ultimate" setup.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]By the way, that water where you have your craft setup sure is green...and shallow. I have launched my new rigs on that pond a lot of times myself.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I am going to be honest with you think your seat is too high for the boat. If you get into any waves at all she will be flung around like a rag doll until something gives. I don't think it is going to be stable at all. I also don't think it is safe. I am not being mean just my honest opinion. I wouldn't let my wife ride on that. Sorry. Ron
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Uhhhh...I think you should have replied to the OP and not to me.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
It's 3" higher than the stock seat (10" vs 13"). The picture makes it look higher than it is, but it may indeed be too high, which is why I'm going to try it out on "still water" before cutting down the legs.

Seat is approximately same height as swivel seats on Scadden's other 2-person-plus boats, and I've never had waves bounce the Assault around enough fling anything, it's pretty stable. Heck, Dave Scadden even stands up on his to cast.

Thanks for the input. I will certainly take greater care on the test trip, and then I'll let you all know how it works.
[signature]
Just going in line TD, Ron
[signature]
I am only looking at it as if I were to use it on our lakes and rivers. Salmon Falls cr Res gets big waves. I would feel like I was on the end of a fly rod if I were sitting there. Good luck and let us know how it does. Those are a neat boat for a trout fisherman. Ron
[signature]
It should be pretty solid. The NFO seats have an air pressure relief valve built into them so you can pump them up to the maximum pressure. That makes the seating areas really hard and solid when pumped up to the max. Not like a regular rubber raft at all. More like a solid boat bottom. The boat acts as one piece. They ride the waves solidly.
[signature]
Here is a video of the Assault XX going down rapids with two people. The person in front is sitting up about even with this one's height.
The embeder says that the link isn't valid. I don't know why. hmm
[url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeEX-EuTSmg"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeEX-EuTSmg[/url]
[signature]
[quote idahoron]I am only looking at it as if I were to use it on our lakes and rivers. Salmon Falls cr Res gets big waves. I would feel like I was on the end of a fly rod if I were sitting there. Good luck and let us know how it does. Those are a neat boat for a trout fisherman. Ron[/quote]
Ron, that boat is great for whatever species you're fishing for.
[signature]
I watch a movie, it was actually a series, of Fly Fishing Canada that use to be on. There was a Canadian that hooked and landed a 7 foot Sturgeon from his donut float tube. There was a boat by his side the whole time. I bet he would have killed for a boat like the XX.
Not to mention Babe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwnXpkyRsFM
[signature]
I am thinking the closed bow would be a problem with big cats, and sturgeon. Trying to lean over the side to handle big fish or a protected species that can't leave the water might be tough. Being able to bring them between the tubes on a pontoon makes it easier. Ron
[signature]
Any movement that the boat make will be magnified the higher you get from water level. Even in the video the girl is hanging on for dear life. The seat the OP has looks taller. I am just pointing out potential problems before anything happens. Ron
[signature]
I am sure ANYTHING would have been better than the tube he had. I would not want one for my self due to several things I just don't care for about that boat. Ron
[signature]
Not for everyone. I felt the same way...till I used one.
[signature]
I understand your points, Ron. I wasn't arguing with you, I was only trying to add my experience with how solid of a one-piece-action these frameless boats have.

It is great that there are getting to be so many options in tubes and tunes out there now. Everyone has a different set of fishing needs and requirements. One boat doesn't fit all. It sure seems like more and more manufacturers are starting to listen and are producing better quality products than ever before.
[signature]
[quote cpierce]I understand your points, Ron. I wasn't arguing with you, I was only trying to add my experience with how solid of a one-piece-action these frameless boats have.

It is great that there are getting to be so many options in tubes and tunes out there now. Everyone has a different set of fishing needs and requirements. One boat doesn't fit all. It sure seems like more and more manufacturers are starting to listen and are producing better quality products than ever before.[/quote]

That is so true, but one never knows till they try it.
I know I was skeptical of the new design. Even after I bought the X5 and had sold my Cardiac. But then I had one of my pontoons on my Cardiac canyon come loose and remember that feeling, and seeing my husband on his 9' pontoon Expedition contract a leak which also caused the straps that secure it to the frame to become loose as the pontoon floats out from under it.
Then comes the set up time. Sure a trailer is awesome and my preferred because the boats are ready to go, but in our case we have several trailers plus a boat. This means one car parks outside the garage all season so that the pontoon trailer is ready to go. Sure there is a little set up time with the frameless, but not much and nice I can put them in my car.

I swore I would not get a rubber raft which was my feelings on the Assault, but then Alan turned his boat around for the motor and realized, it isn't that big a deal and in fact, a good sense of security with that bow enclosed.

You are right, no one boat for everyone, but I sure changed my mind by trying different boats.
[signature]
[quote idahoron]Any movement that the boat make will be magnified the higher you get from water level. Even in the video the girl is hanging on for dear life. The seat the OP has looks taller. I am just pointing out potential problems before anything happens. Ron[/quote]
What you're failing to realize is the diameter of the 'toons and the actual size of the boat along with the inflatable front and rear seating. The footprint of this boat makes it unbelievably stable. But since you've never seen one except in a few pictures, I can understand your doubts.
And as for her hanging on for dear life, I think that's a little exagerated don't you think? They're going down some mild rapids and she is hanging on. Dear life? More like having a ball.
[signature]