Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pics of trolling motor mount on Escape
OK, TubeDude, here it is.

Pictures of the PVC motor mount I crafted for my Escape. I haven't put it in the water yet, but it's lookin' good on saw horses [Wink]

Plenty of room behind the seat to sit back and put my feet up.

I'm going to put 2 of the blue crates, one on each side of motor for battery, cooler, dry bag, etc.

I will have it tied down 3 ways, 2 in the front and one in the back.

One thing I need to check, will I have enough clearance for propeller from Escape. I may have to do a little tweaking before the test run?

Edit: I just read WaveWolf's post on propeller length. I have a MinnKota 30 on my Escape. For sure I am going to recheck the distance between top of prop blade and the bottom of Escape.

P.S. The pictures are really small. Wonder why?
Doesn't look that way on my computer.

[blue] UPDATE: Here's the latest pic of my Escape with the motor mount at a lake. Joni, you're right about too much weight in the back. Fortunately, when I sat down, the Escape leveled off but not to my satisfaction. I had thoughts of a big wind gust coming up and flipping my over backwards. Didn't happen, thank goodness. Pat suggested I add a little floatation to the underside and that should do the trick.[/blue]
[signature]
WOW! a lot of thought there. Very cool. I would like to see it in the water. A lotof weight on the back of that tube.
[signature]
Looks good.

If it was me, I would shorten the U tube that is down the back of the toon.. How big is your battery? You may have to do some balancing out to compensate for it. I am not sure how strong pvc is, but the tube should handle the weight. Just be sure to check your joints and secure your battery and motor to the tube.

I am curious about where you found "4 way" tees?????
[signature]
Home Depot.

I used Schedule 40 PVC. I also used self-tapping screws. The motor mount isn't going anywhere [Smile]

I use a golf cart size deep cycle battery. Anything bigger is too heavy for me to lug around.

I will think about your advice to shorten the U at the bottom. I put it there for the motor shaft to rest up against to protect the boat and to help in securing the MM to the boat. ---- What would be the advantage of shortening it?

Edit: I think I see what you mean by shortening the U. It looks like it might drag in the water (create resistance when non is needed).
[signature]
Thanks, Joni.

What's interesting is that with the boat sitting on saw horses and the motor mount with the motor on it, balanced well. Being in water may be quite different.

The one thing I hadn't thought of was the distance between the top of the propeller blade and the bottom of the boat. But in looking again at the pictures, I think it will be OK. But taking no chances, will sit it up again on the saw horses.

I had absolutely no idea if this could even be done, making a motor mount for the Escape. I'm pleased with the way it turned out.
[signature]
It is awesome! I am more wondering about that 50+lb battery and the motor sitting at the back like that. I picture it flipping over with no weight in the middle (meaning the person sitting there.

I want to try the modified Minn Kota I have with the smaller shaft on my Assault, but it has 13" diameter toons. It worked great on my Cardiac Canyon and the 12" diameter toons.
[signature]
Thanks again, Joni.

I am using a golf cart battery, I can't lift anything heavier. I used to use 2 on my kayak, when the first one got low, I'd switch. But I rarely had to switch over.

I will sit the boat in the water, attach the trolling motor and see what happens. If all it well, then I'll put the battery on. I plan on placing the battery forward from the motor on one of the blue crates.

I can always get a huge goose to sit on my seat, keep it warm for me and keep the boat from tipping backwards until I sit down. Only problem is the goose may have other plans like taking a nip out of my you-know-what when I sit down [laugh]
[signature]
That's funny[laugh][laugh]
[signature]
Nice Bow mount...! Hope she handles good. I hope others catch on too,you know it sure beats having to stear from the stern.I'm yet to see a float tube in person,maybe on my next trip up to lake Mead.My 34 motorguide with reversed head,from last trip.[Image: default.jpg][#0066cc]1:17[/#0066cc]
1 day ago
[Image: pixel-vfl3z5WfW.gif][url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6Gu_wTHeuw"] stranded boat found in creek off card sound rd. [/url]
We were looking for a secret creek when we came across this find.Paulypro,here you see my bowmount,no tube though[frown]..tin boat.
[signature]
It is actually a stern mount. It pulls.
[signature]
Yes, I think it would be hard on your mount to have the drag of the water working on it. Also your motor shaft doesn't need the support. Shorter you can easily cinch it to the rear D-ring.

With a Golf cart battery you shouldn't have a problem. If you want to, you can connect your two golf cart batteries with a PARALLEL connection and extend your time. The parallel connection will keep your voltage the same, but it allows you to use both to give you a longer time. If you were to use a series connection it would burn your motor out, so be sure you know how before you try it.

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/artic...igurations

Be sure and let us know how it works out.
[signature]
How big or heavy is a golf cart sized 12v battery? How many amp hours?
[signature]
AH,I think I get it,it pulls you into the current and you face downstream,or fish downstream[Smile].

Did you reverse the head unit on the motor or did it come that way,its pulling instead of pushing like mine.I know minn kota has a new one where you can easily h flip the head unit 180 to use for either a bow mount application or for the stern[Wink].These float tubes are neat.

I want to see a 2 person tube[blush]
[signature]
I don't use it on a river, I use it on lakes.
[signature]
[quote Paulpro]AH,I think I get it,it pulls you into the current and you face downstream,or fish downstream[Smile].

Did you reverse the head unit on the motor or did it come that way,its pulling instead of pushing like mine.I know minn kota has a new one where you can easily h flip the head unit 180 to use for either a bow mount application or for the stern[Wink].These float tubes are neat.

I want to see a 2 person tube[blush][/quote]

You do remove the bolt and turn the head on the motor 180. I use a quick clip instead of a bolt so I can change quick and easy. (for the aluminum boat)
Here is a two person tube:
http://www.northforkoutdoors.com/2012cat...age1a.html
[signature]
Flygoddess Hi, you know I thought about doing something like that,an easy way to flip the head unit with out having to open it.I was thinking of drilling a big hole lined up with the bolt and adding a longer bolt sticking out of the unit for easy access,then either a wing nut or a locknut[Wink].

I just left it as is.I did enjoy having a motor in the front and one at the stern so my buddy can take control over the vessel at anytime,but then we would fight up on wich way to go so I had to disconnect his motor[Image: happy.gif].

Id like to see what you did to your motor Flygoddess.

About the two person tube,I want to imagine a tube like Tube Dudes, the type where your legs hang in the water but with a motor for each person, Have fun on the water ladies.A tube like Tube Dudes but for two! and two trolling motors one for each,is this possible or just crazy talk [crazy] anyway..well have a nice catch ladies
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]A two person float tube? You just don't get it, do you. The whole idea of a float tube is solitary fishing and getting away from other people. If you want other people fishing in your lap then go for the boat. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I don't know anybody that I would EVER want fishing in the same float tube with me. Bad enough to have someone else within a hundred yards on the water. Guess I should start using deodorant.[/#0000ff]
[signature]