Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CJ Strike 5/28-29
Strike was slow. water from 60 - 65 in Snake River arm and narrows. Water stained and muddy above the balls on snake arm.

Didn't see anybody doing well on crappie & perch. Heard guys were catching trout trolling.

We fished for smallmouth and caught a lot of dinks but only one keeper in two days.

We are heading to Brownlee in the morning for 2 or 3 days and hoping it will be better. If anybody has any info PM me.
[signature]
thats too bad about strike. the protective males are doing there thing.
[signature]
I hope you have better luck at brown
[signature]
Thanks G. We might see you up there but I think we will camp at Woodhead and fish that end.
[signature]
Me too! We will give it a try!
[signature]
I went to Strike on Tuesday night. Didn't do very well on crappie, but I did get a nice largemouth about 17". From the shape of the belly, I'd say it was a female that still had eggs.

I'm hoping the spawn is just late this year due to the annoying cycle of repeated cold fronts we've had.
[signature]
strike acted this way last year too. The crappie never really turned on , just came in spurts and if you happened to be fishing that day you got a bunch otherwise it was a few here and there[mad]
[signature]
Well, CJ had a huge survival rate for young crappie in 2006. A big female crappie can lay up to 60,000 eggs, so for crappie breeding success is determined less by he number of spawners and more by by how many young crappie survive to adulthood. Crappie are cannibalistic and will eat their young. When there's a big year class like that, the survival rate for the young in the next few years drops because they get eaten by the abundant year class.

The lifespan of a crappie is about six or seven years, so it might be the remaining fish from the huge year class are starting to die from old age. As long as some crappies spawn successfully, they will be OK. Though it may take a few years for the population to reach equalibrium again.

You can read about Strike's crappie boom here:

http://www.anglerguide.com/outdoors/news...fm?id=1642
[signature]
That doesn't explain the large schools I see on the fish finder, which just refuse to bite.

Last year at brownlee I wad snagging crappie by accident, but they wouldn't bite. To snag multiple crappie, they must be plentiful.
[signature]
the only thing is if they are that plentiful why isn't someone catching some? I don't hear of very many people catching crappie there at all. Even fewer are catching fish in the 100's like they used to. I am in the belief that populations are at a very low number right now. Some might say that some were washed over the dam last year. I was told that below the dam they were catching a few there last year. Overall it doesn't matter where they went all I know is I am not spending 70 dollars to go after them at strike. Not with the reports I have heard. Ron
[signature]
They always catch some below the dam. There's a population that hangs out in the slack water below the spillway. It's just tough to target them because the shore access its so limited and you cannot use a boat above the bridge. You have to climb down a rock embankment or fish over a chain link fence. I wish Idaho Power would build a walkway or fishing platform along the concrete wall that extends from the bottom of the spillway gates, but I doubt that's ever going to happen.

Went to Cottonwood again on Friday and crappie fishing sucked. Caught maybe a dozen fishing all night. On the other hand, someone caught an enormous largemouth right after I got there around 5 PM. A good 7 or 8 pounds at least. The guy said that was all they wanted to eat, put the fish in the cooler and left. They were out of there within 5 minutes of catching the fish. Saw some male crappie on nests and more large bass swimming around.

I think I'll give crappie fishing at Strike one more shot later this week. If it still sucks, I'll focus on cats closer to Boise.
[signature]