Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pan Fish Southeast Idaho
I went fishing for tasty treats yesterday. Most bass and trout I catch and release, but pan fish ….. end up in the pan. I love bluegill and crappy for eating fare. I don’t think there is much that beats them on the table.

I got to the lake and on the water at about 10:30. The water was almost 63 degrees and there was very little wind. What a miracle of a day. Any day in Southeast Idaho without wind is a miracle!

I used the same red and charteuse wooly bugger all day. It seemed to be well liked, and I was too busy unhooking fish to change it. About the time I thought about using a dry fly, I decided I already had all that I wanted to fillet, and I should go home and get it done!

First fish up were trout. Little feisty fresh planter trout that were a blast to catch as they went airborne the minute they were hooked. They were just babies though.

[Image: BG7.JPG]

Next were bass. Small 10 inch aggressive teenager bass. They had lots of attitude, but not much size.

[Image: BG5.JPG]

Finally …. Bluegill! They came in several sizes. Many small ones, but some good hand sized ones also. Of course I only took pictures of the largest. Oddly enough they came in a wide variety of colors.
Regular

[Image: BG2.JPG]

Pink

[Image: BG6.JPG]

And Gold. The color on this one was really amazing!

[Image: BG4.JPG]

A few small crappy also came out to play. I only caught 4 or 5 of them, and none of them had any size to them.
[Image: BG3.JPG]

I didn’t catch any perch this trip, and that covers just about everything there is to catch in this lake.

It was a fun trip. To protect the innocent fishies from nasty lurkers, I have left the name off. Send me a PM and I will be happy to share it.
[signature]
What no picture of the fly?[cool]
[signature]
The one I used was pretty chewed!

There is a picture that I posted a while back in the fly fishing forum. http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gfo...ost=720771

It was like the red and chartreuse fly in the upper left on the first picture, and it is in the lower right on the second picture. It also had a small grayish black beadhead on it.
[signature]