Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OMG I get to go fishing soon
Hey all I need aa few suggestions. With the Baby, School and work it just has not left me with much fishing time. Wo I am packing the fam up and we are headed for Willard next weekend to do a little camping, a little drinking and daddy is going to to a bunch of fishing. We will be in the NE campground, and I know I can get a few pesky CC kitties to adorn the table. Just trolling the posts I am not seeing many coming form that neck of the wood, has any one but up recently, and if so how did you do on the Crappie's. I would still like to get a wiper from the tube as they are hella fun froma boat. Any info would be great. Now I just hope I can convince the rods and tube that I still love them and have not really abandon them.

Thanks
Majja [fishin]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Sorry to burst your bubble but Willard is completely different this year. Hardly any wipers being caught...because very few wipers left in the lake with the DWR hatchery program problems. Limit was downsized to 3 in recognition of few wipers. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Ditto for catfish. Nobody knows what happened to them but starting late in the year last year they almost vanished. A few still show up here and there but not the vast hordes that were common before. I had 3 trips this year that I worked like heck to catch cats. 3 cats in 3 trips. And they all came on small jigs rather than on minnows.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]With the up and down weather the crappies were spotty too. A few during the rare calm periods and then nothing for a few days after a front goes through.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]But, any fishing is better than none. Hope you have a good trip and that you find enough action to put a Smile on your face.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
TD does Utah have a limit on Cats? Ron
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]8 on channels...except in the community ponds. There the limit is two fish of any species.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Until last year there has never been a problem getting a limit of channels from Willard. To the contrary I could often count on catching a dozen or more while fishing plastics or crankbaits for other species. And when I dragged minnows or cut bait it sometimes produced 25 or 30 cats in a morning of fishing.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]On my last couple of trips I got only one or two quick bites on minnows...and no hookups. Probably not even catfish.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Heck TD right now if I could get some peice and quiet time I would be happy paddeling around in my bath tub trying to catch fish.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Been there, done that. I am in complete understanding and sympathy with your plight. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]As they say about other things...the worst fishing I ever had was wonderful.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Good luck and hope you have a good time. You can use my term for it...a "brain-broom".[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Let me know when you can break the chains and wanna chase some fishies. And you should also join our float tubing club and attend the meetings. We have a great 12 cast program for non-recovering tubing addicts.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Idaho is unlimited for cats even when planted in a small city pond. I have been trying to get the F&G to understand a limited supply can not sustain an unlimited harvest. So far I am not having any luck with getting a limit on them. I wonder what is happening at willard? Ron
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I sure can't figure it out. I have fished Willard kittie since the 1970s and have never had any problem catching all I wanted. As the lake has gone through changes in ecology...with new species, a couple of droughts, food base changes, etc...there have been minor blips and changes in average sizes. But always plenty of fish.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Last summer I did pretty well...averaging about 12 to 15 cats per trip up through early September. Then it took a dive...with only a few cats on any trip in the late fall. Usually that is one of the best times for lots of fall-hungry kitties.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Then this spring. In years past I hit the cats right at ice out and have had some monstrous catch days with ice still on the lake. This year I actually blanked on my first trip in March...and only one fish on each of the last three trips. And most other "regulars" are asking the same thing. Where are the cats.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I have no working theories. Could be food supply. Could be a disease. Who knows? Hopefully they are all out in the middle of the lake somewhere at the catfish club...knocking back shad shooters and laughing at us silly anglers.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Thanks TD. I am going to have to check the schedule and try to come join you all at the TNT club. Now that the wife is not in school any more things are starting to get back to normal and I am going to start finding some free time to wet a hook.
[signature]