Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
personal best carp on the fly
Yesterday. About 12lbs I'm guesstimating. Caught over 20 of them. Males fought the best, females getting ready to burst....
[signature]
what did u use 0.0 i want to catch a carp one day on a fly rod. where did u even go if u would tell me ???
[signature]
get out and about. take a look at some of flygoddess's posts about carp fishing. i can give you a general idea if you would like. Pineview for one, if you have access to a boat or toon, if not why not head to the bird refuge, or behinde willard. there are a ton in there. also UT lake, you can wade to those
[signature]
"Jordan River" area. Not the river itself, but a canal that flows into it.
I do a lot of walking on these little excursions. Sight fishing with a glow bug. If you can see the carp, that's half the battle. Getting it in their feeding range at the right time is the other half. The third half is the fight!
[signature]
What time of day did you leave? I might have seen you yesterday!
[signature]
I fished from about five to seven....
[signature]
[quote joshomaru]I fished from about five to seven....[/quote]

I saw you! I got skunked but I guess you did well.
[signature]
Very cool Josh. I got out today and I do have to say, they are on fire! I have been catching Carp since the begining of May and try to get out 4 times a week, but something is happening the past few weeks. They are fighting harder and longer than ever before. I have had hooks straightened, and these are Saltwater hooks.
I use an 8 wt and 10lb P-Line tippet off a 6' furled leader.
Landed 4 Common and Mirror mix, 3 LMB, two break offs at the net, and 3 LDR's.
My arm is trashed...I love these guys!
Give a shout if you wanna share water. I want to hit DC for some toads tomorrow, we shall see.
[signature]
nice catch on the fly Josh..PRO!
[signature]
Also some great carp fishing on sunset pond in draper. you can bring your float tube out on it too. Thought I was going to break my 5 wt rod with some of them.
[signature]
Very cool. Maybe pm me some details[Wink]
[signature]
I have a Loomis #6 rod think it can handle 10 to 15 pound carp?
I don't want to break my pole it was expensive
[signature]
I have used a Helios and a BIIx on Carp in a 6 wt. Play them right you shouldn't break them. Next I bought a Glass Cabela's I want to try. See if I can get the tip of the rod to touch my hand...LOL
Oh and a T3
[Image: IMG_4481.jpg]
[signature]
[quote Buck222]I have a Loomis #6 rod think it can handle 10 to 15 pound carp?
I don't want to break my pole it was expensive[/quote]Thats why you use 10 lb. tippet, and use your drag.
[signature]
Nice pic! My most recent catch was a 25" 10lb carp Provo river but I used a spin pole (ugly stick) and 15lb braided line to 8lb fluorocarbon leader. Now that I know my fly pole can hold up to a carp I'll have to give it a try. The biggest fear I had was you can't rely all on drag and wear them out. Because where I fish they like to run for a fallen tree as soon as you hook them and you really got to use you a good balance of your pole and drag to keep them from going into snag city.
[signature]
I fish the rivers for them and obstacles are there big time where I fish as well. I do use 10 lb fluoro off a home made 7/8 weight furled leader.. This was not one of the biggest, but more a normal. To the stripping guide on that rod is 34" putting this one at around 32". Hard to get an idea from the picture.
I do not have a scale, and not even going to take a guess.
I think what M is saying is with the right tippet you will Sadly break off before you break a rod. And a fair drag is great, but enough drag to prevent back lashing is very nice. More can be done with palming or stripping control. I do bring many in by stripping the line rather than reeling.
And it is called a fly rod, not a fishing pole[Wink][laugh][laugh]
[signature]
Pole, rod ya ya you know what I meant lol. What water do you catch 35" carp in? I haven't pulled anything bigger than 25's out of lower Provo river.
[signature]