Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
East Canyon 6/2/12 crappie&smallies
had a trip planned out to EC this weekend and i ended up heading out on saturday morning at about 6 30 am. got up to my spot and ya it was i little cold due to slight winds and a little rain, especially cause i just wore a tanktop but the water was warm to the touch and i had a good feeling about the fishing today. I pumped my float tube up and starting throwing a slip bobber and a jig to see what i could get to hit, i fished for about 10 minutes until i hooked up with my first fish and bam!!!! a nice 14 inch smallie{i forgot how good smallies fight too since it has been about a year}. after catching a few more nice bass i kicked up on to my crappie cove that i have had recent success in and it was on i probly caught at least 22 crappie in the 9 to 11 inch range on my bobber set up and my dad caught about 25 on his fly rod just slowly stripping back what he calls a hurl bug that he tied, it also seemed like the fly rod setup was the better way to go cause he was getting a bite on every cast.
We fished until about 1 pm and i took home16 crappie that were the larger ones home for dinner aswell as about 7 smaller smallmouth, YUMMMY[cool]. caught 3 rainbow trout as well.

Now i did hook up with a pretty good SMB at about 16 inches and just fat as can be but the pic i got off my phone is showing up so small i cant figure it out, ill post it anyways but if anyone knows how to resize off a cellphone that would be sweet. also that big smallie is back to be caught another day with the voluntary C&R.

heres the pics

tightlines
[signature]
Beautiful day [Smile] Thanks for the report! I hope to get into some crappie at E. Cyn but I've only caught them in the fall so don't know where they are right now. Glad you had such a good time, and thanks again for sharing!
[signature]
pm sent.
[signature]
Nice work Mr. Jazz....that lake really treats you good this time of year. Me it is the middle of summer for bass....or middle of winter for trout. Can't beat a mixed bag up there. Glad you had a great time....and you did not get run over by the "free fishing" crowds. Thanks for you post dude!
[signature]
ya it was fun to get the crappie bug off my shoulder, now i can chill out, but ya it was crowded on free fishing day and right when i pulled up and was pumping my tube there was knowone in this cove and i start pumping and next thing i know there was a boat with like 5 guys that just comes in and starts fishing, and that spot really isnt that big for a dang boat to come in and they were bass fishing pitching jigs and spinner baits. did not see them set the hook once so it gave me an idea that the bass might not be biting, but the thing is EC bass dont really bite typical bass gear, ive been catching bass there for about7 or 8 years and the best all aroung rig is a bobber and a weightless nightcrawler, sounds funny but its true, one year i caught like four 5 pound smallies right off shore on a worm and bobber, pretty cool fishing there.
[signature]
The bass do like wacky rigged senkos, single tail jigs, and spinner baits. Sounds like you had a great day. Free fishing day is one that I try to escape the crowds. You wouldn't have caught me at EC.
[signature]
Nice report JP1, thanks for sharing it. If you want, you can sent your pics to my Email address and I can see if I can post them for you. I'm not sure if I can make the ones you posted bigger but if you can send them directly from your phone it should be ok.
[signature]
Nice report JP1. EC is one of my favorite places to go. Have tried many times to located crappie, but to no avail. Got many trout and SMB, but crappie is next on my list. Hopefully heading up for a camping weekend for Father's Day. Have to bring my tube along to cruise the coves more carefully.
[signature]
nice fish man but the pic are so small i can barly see them >_<. Nummy crappie u got Smile
[signature]
ya the crappie can be tough there and i was lucky enought to locate a few and get a good meal. But ya my phone has a crap cam on it and i need to start getting some batteries for my nikon that i got a few weeks ago and get some better ones, but for some reason i cant enlarge the pics off my phone on my work computer, oh well[frown].

i still need to get into the true slabs that i know are in there, cause they are big.

tightlines
[signature]
I don't know EC for squat, but I'd expect this time of year the crappie would be into spawn mode, and raiding the shallows - up in the weeds, flats. Much like finding the begging bluegills at Mantua - find the cover, and they'll be there.

Hope to try my strategies a bit farther north. See if my book-reads pay out!

Thanks for the report.
[quote bmitchell]Nice report JP1. EC is one of my favorite places to go. Have tried many times to located crappie, but to no avail. Got many trout and SMB, but crappie is next on my list. [/quote]

+1

I fish that place a lot mid summer and I feel the same way...good luck CoyoteSpinner! Considering you (CYS) live up north...try Cutler or Willard.....there are plenty of hungery Crappie in those places.
[signature]
ya mostly this time of year they are in the brush or susupended over submerged brush. go give it a try cause last year i didnt even get the chance last year because there was no water in the cove i fish due to the fact that they dropped the lakes a ton because of the expected runoff but it was good to see the cove structure out of the water and now ive applied it to a filled cove, plus its the closest lake with that type of fishing to me, just a 23 minute drive, sweet. I would like to find them somewhere else on the lake cause they are thick in there you just gotta find em.

tightlines
[signature]