Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mantua Success!
well took Tubedudes advice and map and went out sunday morning. launched at the SE corner off the little dock. Water was cool and like glass all across the lake.

we fished the little shallow coves a few minutes and then started to kick out towards the middle of the lake to get out of the weeds below the water. once we were about 10" (only guessing since we didn't have a finder) the fish were on! was catchin on black and white rooster tails with silver spoons and tiped with a lil bit o' worm. ended up with 27 fish total between the two of us before. I'll attach some pics when i get a chance later today.

Thanks TD for the tips
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Glad you had a good time. I love that little lake. You can fish it for years and still find a new spot or a new trick every trip.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Keep launching at new spots and fishing new areas. After while you will get to know the overall "feel" of the lake but will also learn some spots that are better than others.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]One suggestion. Get a couple of marker buoys. When you find a good spot out away from the edge of the weeds you should toss out a marker for quick visual reference. It is easy to get off the hot spots because after a while it all looks the same out there. I have had days when I caught lots of fish as long as I stayed within a few feet of the marker...but might as well have been fishing on dry land when I moved too far away.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I agree with most everything the big guy said! Might be a little weedy lake, but it can be a fertile productive little lake (aka salad bowl) sometimes, some spots.

Be warned though - Marinespear will attest - swimmers itch is real, and if you're floating you don't wanna be rubbing yer skin up on them weeds!

DuffyG:
Folks always do this - forgive me - but what KIND of fish were you catching so well? Everybody catches trout and just say "we caught them". Personally - I'm more enthused to catch some tasty panfish, and Mantua's got a few of those.

Something else you'll find - is even when you can't see the fish, or mark any on the graph - doesn't mean they're not there. Lots of 'em hide in the weeds and come out for ambush. Just dragging a curly tail plastic over 8ft depth - they'll come-a-running (well, swimming). Also the transitions form 8ft to 20ft depth - good spots to target.
Swimmer's itch???

Edit: Just looked it up: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/swimmer...N=symptoms

Now I know. For anyone else who doesn't know what it is, I included a URL (above).
[signature]