Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Using a 5# barbell plate for an anchor
I love to go out in the afternoon fishing on my Escape. It's usually windy and I'm not trilled by always being carried by the current.

I enjoy fishing from one place (at times) and being able to cast 180 degrees. I will not always take my trolling motor with me and there are times I would like to anchor. I'm thinking about buying a couple of 2.5 # round barbell weights, attaching them to a chain about 8 ft. long and then a rope. I could get a kayak anchor but my experience has been that they don't hold to well. I could also use a stretch line and tie up to a buoy.

Any one care to jump in?

Thanks!
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]If it is windy enough to need an anchor, the 5# barbell weight is not likely to hold you well if the lake has a smooth mud bottom. It has been tried and only works in very mild conditions. You need something with a point to dig into the bottom to hold in a breeze...along with enough weight to get it down and get it to dig in.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]A simple bag of rocks works better than a flat light anchor. And if it snags up on rocks you can sacrifice it without losing a lot of money.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]There are lots of anchors on the market. If you buy one you should look at at least 10#. Chain is not necessary for shallow anchoring with a float tube or small pontoon...unless it is needed for the weight to make an anchor dig in.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]It is important to have enough anchor rope for "scope"...to let out enough line to get the anchor to hold. Straight down will not get it.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Maybe try CHAIN. Easy to make. Buy LARGE chain cut into different lengths. Like ours is about 3" links and 5 strands of 4 to 8 links. Attach to a Carabiner.
You can add or subtract links as needed.

It works on rivers and my husband uses them on lakes and these lakes get pretty windy.
[signature]
Thanks, Joni. I forgot about chain.

Thanks, Pat.
[signature]