Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Latest pic of trolling motor mount on Escape
[blue] Here's the latest pic of my Escape with the motor mount at a lake. Joni, you're right about too much weight in the back. Fortunately, when I sat down, the Escape leveled off but not to my satisfaction. I had thoughts of a big wind gust coming up and flipping me over backwards. Didn't happen, thank goodness. Pat suggested I add a little floatation to the underside and that should do the trick. [/blue]
[signature]
[quote Ladyloves2fish][blue] Here's the latest pic of my Escape with the motor mount at a lake. Joni, you're right about too much weight in the back. Fortunately, when I sat down, the Escape leveled off but not to my satisfaction. I had thoughts of a big wind gust coming up and flipping me over backwards. Didn't happen, thank goodness. Pat suggested I add a little floatation to the underside and that should do the trick. [/blue][/quote]

What kind of battery are you using there? I always have mine behind my seat and it pushes into my back. I rarely use the motor on mine but on big water it would be nice to have.
[signature]
you should just get the assualt xx or an X5 and throw some gas power on it and we can go fish those big lakes in that other state i always tell you about [:p]
[signature]
Very nice. You shouldn't need any more floatation. The Escape will float a lot of pounds. Your battery looks small enough to squeeze it in behind your seat. Getting it a little more forward and lower down should help. How much weight is in the cooler?

Or make your rack so that it is a bit "U" shaped and comes up on the sides a little. Then you could shift your crates with the battery and cooler a little more forward. That should give you better balance.
[signature]
[quote orvis1][quote Ladyloves2fish][blue] Here's the latest pic of my Escape with the motor mount at a lake. Joni, you're right about too much weight in the back. Fortunately, when I sat down, the Escape leveled off but not to my satisfaction. I had thoughts of a big wind gust coming up and flipping me over backwards. Didn't happen, thank goodness. Pat suggested I add a little floatation to the underside and that should do the trick. [/blue][/quote]

What kind of battery are you using there? I always have mine behind my seat and it pushes into my back. I rarely use the motor on mine but on big water it would be nice to have.[/quote]

It's a golf cart battery. I have plenty of room to lean back. I mostly rowed for the exercise. I enjoy rowing. The motor is nice on a big lake if I get tired. I like to fish in the afternoon and it usually gets windy, so the motor comes in handy.
[signature]
Do you use the side bags? That battery looks like it would fit in a side bag. Lunch box you could strap off the side.

I agree with CPierce, on the extra flotation. I don't think you need it. Tube Dude added bumpers under the back portion behind his seat....yours is inflated already.
Not sure there is room underneath for bumpers either.

I would try the battery in the side bag and loose the deck, but that is just me.

Might have an X5 for sale though. Gas motor was not it was cracked up to be , and having to use a trailer to transport them can be problematic.
Diggin' the Assault and XX these days with the #27 battery and Minn Kota's.

Like Lady mentioned, rowing is great, specially with the Ultra Lights.
[signature]
[quote flygoddess]Do you use the side bags? That battery looks like it would fit in a side bag. Lunch box you could strap off the side.

I agree with CPierce, on the extra flotation. I don't think you need it. Tube Dude added bumpers under the back portion behind his seat....yours is inflated already.
Not sure there is room underneath for bumpers either.

I would try the battery in the side bag and loose the deck, but that is just me.

Might have an X5 for sale though. Gas motor was not it was cracked up to be , and having to use a trailer to transport them can be problematic.
Diggin' the Assault and XX these days with the #27 battery and Minn Kota's.

Like Lady mentioned, rowing is great, specially with the Ultra Lights.[/quote]

Yes, I use the side bags, they just weren't there in this pic.

I'm sticking with the Escape but thanks for the offer. Overall, I'm happy with the motor mount I made. I use the bags for tackle, no room for this battery. I plan on putting a smaller battery for the fish finder in the left hand side bag.
[signature]
I put a motor and battery on the back of my water otter and when I sat down in it one time too hard it tipped it over just like you feared. So practice somewhere safe trying to tip it over while fully loaded because you need to know your limits.

BTW I was close to shore and recovered everything but that was pretty scary. Be safe be sure.
[signature]
[quote OldTroller]I put a motor and battery on the back of my water otter and when I sat down in it one time too hard it tipped it over just like you feared. So practice somewhere safe trying to tip it over while fully loaded because you need to know your limits.

BTW I was close to shore and recovered everything but that was pretty scary. Be safe be sure.[/quote]

That would be pretty scary, for sure! I wonder what the weight capacity of your water otter was? I made sure I was leaning forward when the wakes from boats would come rolling my way.
EDIT: I appreciate your comment. I just looked at the Water Otter website. The angler sits higher than I do on my Escape. The weight capacity on the Otter is 300#, whereas the with the Escape, it is 500#. I still like the idea of a balanced craft.
[signature]