Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jet boat question
I've been looking at a 16 foot crestliner backwater or ambush model to be used mostly on the south fork of the snake. What would be the min amount of horse at the pump would you guys recommend for running that portion of the river.Probably would just be me and my pooch 95% of the time. Im really not concern with speed but I do want the power if I need it.
[signature]
I'm not familiar with that line up. All I have ever ran regularly is a phantom ( sportjohn, with an Inboard) and one thing I've learned is more motor than you think you need isn't a bad thing. You can always throttle down for less but pretty hard to get more than max output. We've had a 210 and a 200 and in those boats it does well. For fishing out of the boat I would steer you towards an out board as it gives more room in the boat. Down side is the foot sticks down lower than with an Inboard. Also the outboards are said to have a little more HP loss when switched to a pump vs prop. Good luck on the shopping. A lot of it will come down to personal preference. Also even though you expect you n the pup plan for a couple more so when the times come you can take people out.
[signature]
Crestliners are great boats cant go wrong there. Just see what the max hp rating is on the boat and get that you cant ever have to much power when your on the river or in a tight spot when you just need a little more. one more suggestion look for one with at least a 50 inch bottom and a center console is nice to fish around and keeps you up high so you can be looking for hazards in your path. Bmarsh is correct outboards loose about a 1/3 hp with the jet but most newer jets are rated at actual hp at the jet such as 60 hp jet will actually use a 90 hp head.
[signature]
I have a 17' Crestliner with 45 HP at the pump . I have had 3 big guys in my boat and it handles that very well . Curt G.
[signature]
Hey guys, thanks for the input..all of this is kinda new to me. Boat selection here in Idaho Falls is limited as far as utility jet boats go. I hear that the Rapid craft boats made in Blackfoot are nice...I'm not sure what make of motor or size he puts on his boats...will have to make a run out there and check them out.....I'm turning 50 next month...what a nice birthday present from my wife that will be...haha!
[signature]
A 45 true jet will suffice with three big guys in the boat but if you want the ability to scoot the rear end of the boat around in lower water I would go with a 60 true jet and you will love it! Now to just save up enough $$$$.........
[signature]
The guy that owns Rapid Craft has two boats left and when they are gone he is retiring . The cheapest one is 16,000 . Curt G.
[signature]
I will chime in if you guys dont mind? I own a 16 ft lowe roughneck. THe boat is an allweld jon. There are several things I like about it. I like to hunt out of my boat as well as fish. I am usually by myself and had to be able to manuver the boat alone. My lowe is very night and runs very shallow. I can launch and load by myself very easy all year long. The lowe has a tunnel on the bottom of the boat that directs water to the jet. This is nice because it keeps the motor above the bottom of most of the boat. The stern is all weld and jacks the motor up. I run a 90 hp Merc on it. I like the 90 because I do duck hunt out of it and it can get heavy with the blind on, decoys, dog and dead beat buddies that never pay for gas. LOL just kidding. That 90 gets it up and going. It is also night when the river is up this time of year. I have added a spray bar and wings on the jet to direct more water to the jet. Does it work? I dont know but can hurt. I love my boat and used it all but Feb last year for hunting and fish. I have two little boys that love to fish and so it is great for that. When they want to go....you go. Well thats my two cents.

Good luck and safe boating

PS get a tilt on the motor and a GOOD Bilge if your going to hunt out of it. Dogs bring in alot of water.
[signature]
Thanks guys for all the input. Much appreciated. I thought I had my 14 foot Valco sold but son in law back out of the deal. Got to get it sold before I get the jet boat(down payment). If anyone is interested send me a PM I can give you more details. It has a 15 horse power Evinrude motor with new seats,gas tank,hoses and tires. I'm the second owner....runs great!
[signature]