Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Back in the tube again
Hello everyone, a little about myself. Well after many, many years out of fishing last year I decided to get back into it starting with fly fishing. I had a Browning tube years ago and loved that fishing style but for some reason sold everything. Last year bought a never used St. Croix fly rod and Oka...something or other reel for 100 bucks from a friend who never used it. Had to buy waders, boots etc. to get started Steelhead fishing. Also bought a 4ft Ugly Stick mainly for Perch and pan fishing, a new 7ft Ugly Stick for everything else. Also bought a sweet Spider Wire soft tackle bag and some new tackle. Last year I was stuck fishing the banks of everything and while it was fun it just seemed I couldn't get out far enough. This year we bought a boat (family boat) a 20ft Stingray cuddy cabin but haven't tried fishing from it yet and don't really plan to except maybe out on Lake Erie for Perch. I love our local "lagoons" which are loaded with anything from Perch, big Bass to Northern Pike, even Alligator Gar's. My family isn't into fishing like I am so I bought a new tube (a christmas in july present,lol) I went between 4 different tubes and decided on a ODC 420. Hopefully I'll be fishing in it next week. Now deciding to make a rod holder or just buy a couple. Im not one to go out with 4 rods, usually when I go out its for specific fish, the 4ft Ugly Stick is used mainly for pan fish but did happen to catch a 20+" large mouth that weighed around 6-8lbs! all on 2 lb test through thick weeds. Ive seen some nice set ups but don't know if I want an arsenal of rods with me and more likely getting in the way but like the idea of maybe an extra rod for different uses. I also want to eventually get a fish finder like the Fishing Buddy for the tube and I see they make a mount specific for tubes. Any way, great being here and good fishing!
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Welcome aboard. Glad you finally got your priorities straight.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Good luck with getting your new ride all set up as a fishing machine. We look forward to some reports on your success.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Hope everyone had a good 4th!

Choppy:

I also own some 420s, and they have been reliable and comfortable.

I only use 2 rods as well, and all my float tube rods are under 5.5' in length. The shorter lengths make it easier to untangle lure/rod tip eyelet wrap ups while sitting on water and on the fly. Also minimizes the tangles with overhanging tree limbs/brush on the rivers. They can be stored flat along the length of the ODC when backpacking the inflated unit, since I like both hands free. That 6# bass on 2# line you landed must have been tough on a panfish rod. For big fish, I found a short, stiff ugly stick at Bass Pro to use with my ultra thin 6# test fire line.

Hope this helps.

Pon

[quote choppywaters]Hello everyone, a little about myself. Well after many, many years out of fishing last year I decided to get back into it starting with fly fishing. I had a Browning tube years ago and loved that fishing style but for some reason sold everything. Last year bought a never used St. Croix fly rod and Oka...something or other reel for 100 bucks from a friend who never used it. Had to buy waders, boots etc. to get started Steelhead fishing. Also bought a 4ft Ugly Stick mainly for Perch and pan fishing, a new 7ft Ugly Stick for everything else. Also bought a sweet Spider Wire soft tackle bag and some new tackle. Last year I was stuck fishing the banks of everything and while it was fun it just seemed I couldn't get out far enough. This year we bought a boat (family boat) a 20ft Stingray cuddy cabin but haven't tried fishing from it yet and don't really plan to except maybe out on Lake Erie for Perch. I love our local "lagoons" which are loaded with anything from Perch, big Bass to Northern Pike, even Alligator Gar's. My family isn't into fishing like I am so I bought a new tube (a christmas in july present,lol) I went between 4 different tubes and decided on a ODC 420. Hopefully I'll be fishing in it next week. Now deciding to make a rod holder or just buy a couple. Im not one to go out with 4 rods, usually when I go out its for specific fish, the 4ft Ugly Stick is used mainly for pan fish but did happen to catch a 20+" large mouth that weighed around 6-8lbs! all on 2 lb test through thick weeds. Ive seen some nice set ups but don't know if I want an arsenal of rods with me and more likely getting in the way but like the idea of maybe an extra rod for different uses. I also want to eventually get a fish finder like the Fishing Buddy for the tube and I see they make a mount specific for tubes. Any way, great being here and good fishing![/quote]
[signature]
Welcome! You have found the way to fun and relaxation now. Can't wait to see your mods and reports!
[signature]
Congrats on your new boat..
WOW your really tearing up those bass on that 2lb line..[Image: yell.gif]Talk about giving them a fighting chance....
You should just get like a .50 series reel and -2lb test[Image: happy.gif]
[signature]