Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shortening the toes on neoprene waders ???
Looking for someone who may have tried this or knows of a resource to have this done. I am 6 ft. 1 in. tall, weigh in at 260 and only have a size 9 foot. I have to buy large stout series waders to fit my upper body but the wader makers think I should have a size 13 foot. My current waders are breatable uppers with 3mm neoprene feet and have a good 3 1/2 to 4 inches of extra toe space that gets to be a serious issue at times especially when wearing wading boots or flats booties and is compounded with closed toe vs. open toed fins. I am wanting to trim a good 3 inches off of the waders feet toes without ruining them of course. I could do it myself as am a handy sort of fellow as long as I knew what mastic glue to use and thread recommendations. Ant insight here would be appreciated.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]If you have a skin diving shop nearby, go visit it and buy a can of neoprene cement. It is a black sticky stuff that works like contact glue. You apply it to both surfaces, let it dry for a few minutes and then push the two parts together. For making a seam...after shortening the excess toe length...you will also have to roll the two ends together and then stitch them for maximum hold. The people at the dive shop can probably give you some suggestions too since they make wet suits and sometimes have to repair them.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Thanks Tube Dude !

Went on line and found the neoprene cement and full instructions as to how to do the repair . Also had the chance to try on a couple pairs of fins at a used sporting goods store today and am glad I did before I purchased any sight unseen. Appears in general if wearing waders and flats booties even with a size 9 foot that XL size fins would be best. I tried 2 sets on today, one were jet fins and the others a split fin style both in size L wearing only medium weight socks and some lightweight boaters shoes and both were too tight in and around the toes. I am hoping XL fins are roomier inside the foot compartment rather than just longer. NEVER would have made it into these fins with waders and flats booties. Any insight you folks may have in regards to fit and comfort with your particular fins would be appreciated. I would gladly sacrafice some thrust to have the feet be happy after a day of tubing.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Glad you were able to find the cement. Good luck with the repair. Don't shorten the waders too much. You will need extra room for adding layers when the water is colder.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]You were wise to try on the fins with all the gear you will be wearing. When it comes to sizing on fins it is tough to know what to buy without trying. Not all manufacturers adhere to the same standards in their size designations...especially fins made "offshore". One maker's L might be the equivalent of another's medium.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I wear a size 13 shoe and when I add a couple of pairs of wool socks inside my waders...and then put on my divers' booties...I have a load to stuff into my fins. I actually have to buy size 16 booties. My fins are Mares Plana Avantis...in size XL. They have a large soft foot pocket that accomodates my "wide load" in winter. But, with the easy adjust buckles and straps they quickly size down for my lesser requirements in warmer water.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]One of the most common problems experienced by tubers and tooners is having fins that are too small and that cause foot constriction. It doesn't matter how much warmth you wear on your feet if the fins are too tight...and your feet do not get blood circulation.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Thanks Again Tube Dude !

Sounds like the same Mares fins in size L should work for me and will of course check to see on the suppliers return policy for fit before I buy. I live in a high desert region a good 3 hour drive from the nearest dive shop. The cost of the drive would nicely go towards the purchase of some new fins. Keep on Toobin !
[signature]