Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Zumwalt Lake.
Hey all, just got back from a trip to Zumwalt Lake. I normally won't name a high mountain lake on a forum because I don't want to "hotspot" a HML. In this case, it might be a good thing. The lake is self sustaining with Rainbows and hasn't been stocked since 1990 (when they planted Cuthroat Fry). It is completely over populated with tiny rainbows and I believe it is stunting their growth. The 9 inchers were either spawned out or partially spawned out. I caught 5 in my first 6 casts and on the cast I didn't get one, I had 3 strikes. I must have caught at least 60 and probably closer to 100. I didn't keep count on Friday evening, but I counted on Saturday morning and I caught 22 in about 1.5 hours. If you want to go, please keep a few as I believe it would be good for the lake.

It is quite a climb to get there. I climbed 1100+ feet in the first .3 miles. Then another 400-600 in the next .7 miles.

While I was fixing my dinner I had a 3 point buck walk within bow range of my camp and then he dropped a load within bow range. Wouldn't that have ruined his day to stick an arrow in him will doing his business.

There were also many beautiful wild flowers around. Other than being smokey from the Halstead fire, it was an absolute great trip.
[signature]
Great pics and looks like a fun time.
[signature]
It's always fun to explore new places. You never know what you will catch or see.

A rapid rise hike is great for the deep lung exercises! Also it is fun to catch that many fish. A little stunting is better than to hike up a hill like that, to find that the lake winter-killed.
[signature]