Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flipper Issues
to make a long story short, I got a hand me down float tube back in April, as well as a pair of flippers. The float tube was a donut shaped browning, and the fins were Outkasts, the kind that you strap on top with bindings. Well, the hand me down float tube had some leaks, which made it deflate somewhat fast, and the flippers bindings kept coming undone, making me spend most of my time trying to figure out various ways to keep the bindings on, none of which worked.

I know what went wrong with the float tube (leaks...duh[:p]) but I have no stinking idea why the flippers were so crappy. I am planning on buying a new u-shaped float tube in a few months, but am wondering about those flippers. Was I doing something wrong when putting them on? It shouldn't be rocket science to put a pair of flippers on but these stupid flippers never stayed on, and simply using them to paddle caused them to come undone. I am currently planning on buying flippers that strap around from behind, but if anyone has any knowledge about these "bind on top" flippers, please let me know if there is some little trick i need to know. Thanks!
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I don't know ANY serious tubers who use the lash-on fins for anything except pack-in or to put over their bulky wading boots if they elect not to use divers booties, etc. They will work...up to a point. But they are inefficient compared to Force Fins or good diving fins...and they are notorious for loosening while on the water. Better to have a good comfortable pair of efficient fins...with a secure locking strap system that you don't have to worry about between launching and beaching.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Check the Buyers' Guide section for some options.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The best thing that came out of the hand-me-down tube and fins might be that it got you to at least try tubing. If you decide you like it and want to make it an ongoing part of your fishing arsenal you will do well to buy good gear and take good care of it. If you make good purchases you will get years of enjoyment out of them. Bad gear will make you swear off any sport...for the wrong reasons.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Are you talking theses:
[url "http://www.outcastboats.com/outcast/products/accessories.aspx?cat=15&id=280"]http://www.outcastboats.com/outcast/products/accessories.aspx?cat=15&id=280[/url]

I have a pair and they worked great. Still have and still use them. As far as loosening, I can only guess that you do not have them laced right in the buckle. I use those type of buckles on many things and there is a right and wrong way to lace them.
As far as boots, I do wade fish so I do wear the "bulky" boots. But I like using my lace up flats boots the most.
There are better fins out there, but I don't think there is anything wrong with the Outcast fins (if laced right).
[signature]
I use Force Fins but have used the fins the goddess linked to and I never had them come undone either.

Try taking them to Kirkhams and have them check out the buckles. If they are on wrong they can tell you. If they are worn out (I don't see how that's possible) they can replace them for you right there.
[signature]