Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
video of my pontoon boat
This video is to let people see what the Skookum Steelheader looks like with the Coleman 2.6 HP outboard.

So far I like this boat a lot, but I have only fished for Sturgeon in it. I need to take it trolling for Walleye to see how it does for that. This boat will be the BOMB for catfishing.

This is not a light duty boat. With all my gear and motor on it weighs a bunch. When I launch I load the boat with all my gear and motor. I place it right on the back of the trailer. I back down and slide it off the trailer. Even though the boat is quite heave it is easy to do. I do the same when loading. I back the trailer down and pull it on. After it is on I leave the launch area and strip it down.

I sit on the foot deck when I am fishing. I find it very comfortable The decks on the sides work as arm rests. I put my bait cooler on the seat behind me while I fish. I think this winter I will extend the side decks to go the full length of the frame. Then I can test them next spring. Here is the video link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9w66gbewvZ0

And some pictures. Ron

[Image: P8110036.jpg]
[Image: P8110037.jpg]
[signature]
Right on, glad you are liking the boat.
Interesting you "hook" the boat in tow. We have been use a rope with a handle so towed boat can let go at any time.
May I ask what that boat weighs?
[signature]
When I hook the towed boat it makes it work together. When going in reverse like I was the extra length give is more stability to track straight. I tried going forward and using a rope. It didn't work for me. The towed boat does not track straight. I tried to tie it to the ends of the pontoons and to the frame even having the person hold the rope. That don't work at all. The towed boat will take a different path than the tow boat and that is where the out of control starts. When you turn the towed boat makes long sweeping turns that take way too long to turn and even longer to straighten back out.
I have towed with three different boats and the only way I have found that works is backwards and hooked up. I have never been in a spot that the towed boat needs to disengage.

My son and I lifted it on my small pickup. I would say by it's self it weighs about 100 pounds or so. Ron
[signature]
You are probably right and I am sure you would figure something out should the need come up.
My husband started towing several of us a few years back with the 5 hp and being able to let go came in handy a few times, But your experiences differ.
[signature]
Were all the boats that were being towed like the X5 with the closed end? Ron
[signature]
No. In fact they were normal pontoons and a couple U shape, but towed from the open end. Why?
[signature]
I was curious about if the closed in would be easier to tow. All of the open end boats I have towed don't tow straight on a rope. I have towed a couple Creek co's and a South fork. I have even towed a broke down boat. That was the easiest of all of them.

So much can make the towed boat not run straight. If the pontoons are not of equal air pressure, weight distribution, wind, waves, the operator of the towed boat leaning, and the list goes on. Last spring a did a lot of testing with towing and the only good option I saw was hooking up tight with the motor in front. Now I could see the closed end of the x5 being much easier to tow more like a play tube behind a boat.

Ron
[signature]
Have not tried that due to the fact I use a motor as well.
Just been our experience for safety sakes, to not hook the boat in tow without a quick release.
My Brothers run the 9' Expedition and the other the 11 1/2' Cardiac Canyon. I run either the Renegade or the other X5 at 10'6". They all tow well, but again we use like a short ski rope and are able to let go any time.
[signature]