Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dove Extravaganza
Headed out to "Farmington Bay" [Wink] Saturday lookin for some little birds to shoot at. The area was right, we found the water, the trees but not the doves.....what the heck?? We sat around for a while waiting but not much was moving.

Then the sun came out. I think the most doves I've ever harvested was on the order of 2 for a given day, Saturday I shot ten mourning doves, eight Eurasian pigeons and four common pigeons! What a shoot!
Between three of us we knocked down over 60 birds
[inline IMG_4744.jpg]

It was a great warm-up for teal in october, I hope to get out and hike after some grouse here soon.

Now to figure out what to do with a bag full of dove Mcnuggets...
[signature]
Nice line up! It is definitely time to get the dogs out and let the work. Grouse are one bird my wife really loves eating so I will be up in the canyons as soon as I get a chance.
[signature]
Nice haul.
I saw an "ok" number of doves on the opener, but shot terrible. Oh well, got a few and the dogs had fun. (Even got the pregnant wife to go, so that made it worht while).
[signature]
Yeah, my first few shots I swear were blanks. 20ga 2 3/4" #9s weren't doing the job the first half hour, I even lined up on one sitting on a fence post and he flew away! Once I got past the blanks I was able to do much better though,

Doves...the original exploding target!!
[signature]
Nice work! I thought we had a pretty good day, but nothing like yours. So is the
common pigeon or barn pigeon non protected like collared dove? From what I understand the band tails are the only one with a season?? I have wondered if they are ok to shoot. I'm sure they are just as good as doves to eat, except ya get 3 for the price of 1.
[signature]
Band tails and mourning doves are the ones with a season, you can shoot ECD (eurasian collared doves) and pidgeons all year round
[signature]
we had a decent shoot on Monday. sounds familiar with the blanks after the first ten shot i finally started knocking them down
[signature]