Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Utah Coyote Beginner
BigFishTackle has been one of the best forums i have ever had the pleasure of reading. I have met several great fishermen here that have taught me alot and have made for several great fishing trips. I have recently gotten into coyote hunting as well, but have not been able to find a very active forum for it at all. If anyone who knows the tricks can give me a few tips i'd sure appreciate it. I have managed to get 1 coyote so far (no i dont do it just becuase of the new bounty i am out there becuase i really enjoy the cool mountain air in the morning, and just being able to let go and enjoy wildlife much the same way i do when fishing) The coyote (shown in upload) is obviously a pup, and it took long hours and quite a few hunts to get. I am just hoping to improve a bit more in hopes to become as consistent as possible in the tough world of predator hunting.

Thanks guys

-Kyle
[signature]
Finally found it, guess this needs to be moved to the hunting section.
[signature]
BIG "FISH" TACKLE...why not have a hunting board...LOL OH WAIT! They do.
Just funnin'
[signature]
Nice start on a new addiction.

Edit: Links to competing forums are not allowed.
[signature]
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.
[quote flygoddess]BIG "FISH" TACKLE...why not have a hunting board...LOL OH WAIT! They do.
Just funnin'[/quote]

No seriously
[center][url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/forum/gforum.cgi?forum=71"]HUNTING[/url]

[left]I have seen some buck-talk and such, maybe more on the Idaho board. What's a coyote worth these days, a "buck-an-ear"
Better be careful, some might bite back!
[/left][/center]
the next couple months the young coyotes will be leaving to get out on their own. Pretty easy calling for a couple months till late Oct. I love hunting coyotes, a challenge and extra time outside.
[signature]
I went ahead and moved your post to our Hunting and Shooting board.
FYI: Here is a link to all the Utah boards:
[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/forum/Utah_Fishing_Forum_C55/"]http://www.bigfishtackle.com/forum/Utah_Fishing_Forum_C55/[/url]
[signature]
Thanks Wiper, yeah i didnt have much time to search around. I'm at work [shocked] SHHHHHHHH.... ha ha. Thanks though guys. Anyway down to it, does anyone have any tips, or want to go even? PMs welcome
[signature]
Hope your boss isnt a bft member or a lurking noobie on here >_>
[signature]
i think that would be the coming of he apacolypse, and at that time it wont matter
[signature]
ha ha ha okay sounds good. Keep up the good work and make the coyote rate go down so the cattle and sheep can live longer and the other animals out there [cool]
[signature]
One thing that guys have told me about yote hunting and from my experience believe it true. That most of the time it is not necessarily the sound you make but its the stand set up and how you get to the area. just so you understand what im saying is dont drive right up to the area and set up right by the truck. You want the truck out of sight. Also always pay attention to the wind, if possible you want to see your down wind side incase one tries circling you.
There are alot of guys that dont pay attention to much and only end up educating coyotes that makes it harder for everyone else.
[signature]
I agree with everything you said. I prefer to have a cedar at my back and then sage or something breaking up my outline in front. Yotes have fantastic sight for anything moving. Sometimes one of the little waving tail type things help. If useing electronics get your speaker far enough away that you are not the first movement the coyote sees. I use a lot of mouth calls as well so just have to be still/ I almost always have shooting sticks with me or a bi-pod.
[signature]
A couple years ago i really got in to yote hunting...notice i said hunting and not killing lol..... I think the remarks so far are good. The only things i would add is if calling once you spot dog stop loud cats or even calling period. Make them focus more on what and where there noise is/was and that takes them off the always watching for you or other predators. On the side note let me know when u go and maybe we can get together and pray for dogs together... Lol also and thus kinda goes with all hunting and im sure u do it already. Don't wash your hunting clothes with the wife and kids school clothes. Sent us hard enough with big game even worse with dogs.
[signature]
I decided to come stop back on this forum and check the replies, kinda stinks that the hunting board isnt nearly as active, but as one has already said its called bigFISHtackle. I have been out scouting like a mad man, even went out with a few real smart guys on the topic of yote hunting.

My Weekend:

Friday
I went with a real serious guy who writes for Predator Xtreme. He was able to point out to me what i was doing wrong and tried to get me on some dogs, we saw 8 mostly from the truck. The only one i could have shot only gave me about a second before disappearing back into a cornfield.

Saturday
I left for my cabin, got there around 5 pm went out at 6. My dad had told me that there werent any up there, but i just kept thinking that there was no way. I had a trailcam out for about 3 weeks and only saw crows and stuff eating the meat i had put out. (as a sidenote i saw a redfox on the way down from checking my cam one night and was able to call it in withing about 15 feet of me) It was too dark and i was on a highway or i may have blasted him.) After seeing the Redfox, and observing the terrain all i could say on the way up to my wife was "they gotta be up here."

I did get a decoy to take the eyes off me, so that was out flopping around while i did some calling. A few minutes later i saw something gray coming through the trees FAST. It went right up to the decoy smelled it and ran away. (in hindsight i should have stopped it the second i saw it, but i was so surprised to be seeing one after being told they werent up there that i wasnt ready at all.) It only took seconds for him to come out and run away so there was no real shot, plus my setup was lazy becuase "they werent up there."

We went back out the next morning and did a few stands to no avail, however on one of our last sets we sat down surveyed the area a bit and then i got up to put the Ecaller and decoy out. I stood up looked down to flip the decoy on, looked up and there was a coyote standing right in front of me at 100yds. My friend saw me turn around and got his gun up while i grabbed my AR-15. I tried to setup as fast as possible while still moving slowly enough not to spook him so i could get a shot. Well as i was just about to aquire him in the scope he took off.

I was seconds away from getting two coyotes literally. I will have to adapt my tactics just a little more next time. I know theyre up there, and i know where. I am going to go again this week. Hopefully i get the change to put fur down. This time i'll have a shotgun along with ym AR-15 just in case i have another bust in on me like that.

Fish Fear Me,

Yeah PM me sometime and we'll kill some yotes, i will have it down soon enough.
[signature]