Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cooperating Causey 9-14
Being all by my lonesome, I got to pick the place to fish today. Went to Causey to go see how the Salmon run is going. Stopped by the Lower Weber in Mountain Green to break the bill off a CD Rapala.

With the distractions out of the way I finally made it to Causey....and oh boy have those water levels DROPPED!
[Image: 814011.JPG]

At the Boy Scout Arm the low water levels were the most noticeble
[Image: 814012.JPG]

The Salmon were pretty much non existant.......only saw 2 reds all day long....Tried throwing spin gear with no such luck....moved to the fly rod with a Zebra Copper John and still nothing. Switched to a Beaded Prince Nymph and fish on! The 1st was a nice Cutthroat Trout.
[Image: 814014.JPG]
[Image: 814013.JPG]

Moved down what once was a lake but now is a channel and started slaying the hungery Rainbow Trout.
[Image: 814015.JPG]
[Image: 814016.JPG]

And more came to play.
[Image: 814017.JPG]

With 6 caught the action died off. Moved to the dam and started hooking into fish but could not keep them on the hook longer than a few seconds. Switched to a Olive Wolly Bugger and when pulling my line to get the tappered leader out the rod BROKE!

To say I was angery would be an under statement! I left Causey and raced home to get a new rod for tomorrow's as well as Sunday's planned adventures. Wish that rod would not have broke...those trout up there sure are cooperating right now!
[signature]
looks like some one should buy a fly rod at cabelas. It brakes for any reason new rod no charge. Just gota have the receipt the end.
[signature]
wow is that water low. find any "treasures" in the low water areas?
[signature]
[quote kochanut]wow is that water low. find any "treasures" in the low water areas?[/quote]

Just garbage, tires, and worm containers.....the only treasures I found were excellent humps, ledges and other fish attracting structures.

My favorite ledge that I typically fish was high and dry....a good 60+ feet! With the shear drop offs, ledges and overhangs....there is no doubt in my mind why I would witness BIG fish cruising that area.
[signature]
[quote Flyfishinglover]looks like some one should buy a fly rod at cabelas.[/quote]

I already bought another from Fish Tech....the break was "operator error".
[signature]
Nice to see a good report from Causey. I live like 20min from there but I avoid it like the plague.. I have never done well there.
[signature]
I'm the same way with Jordanelle and Strawberry.

Would drive half way across the state to avoid those two places.
[signature]
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.
Nice report and pics ETDT, were there many folks there, anyone in a boat or float tube?
[signature]
[quote Flyfishinglover]looks like some one should buy a fly rod at cabelas. It brakes for any reason new rod no charge. Just gota have the receipt the end.[/quote]I don't think this is true... I talked to the guy in the fly fishing dept and they said there I this misconception about cabelas replacing rods... According to him they do not replace broken rods.
[quote TylerKunz][quote Flyfishinglover]looks like some one should buy a fly rod at cabelas. It brakes for any reason new rod no charge. Just gota have the receipt the end.[/quote]I don't think this is true... I talked to the guy in the fly fishing dept and they said there I this misconception about cabelas replacing rods... According to him they do not replace broken rods.[/quote]

FFL - sounds like you could use your own advice, after your bass-break-off.
I've nipped the tip off of several rods, and one has actually become one of my favorites - with a new tip - it actually had a better backbone and firm hookset.
Though I've snipped most of mine with a car door, or window closing. Cringe - HATE that!

I'd be curious to know what the real guarantee is then. I'd thought I've heard from several folks who professed they've taken up the replacement, with success.

Now I need to find a seller who will guarantee against the idiot (me) who leaves his rod at the launch - hanging on for one more bite while I pack up the boat.

Nice report - but you never came back about the Kokanee. See any redbacks? Almost hit the Pig with my kids today, but we were already half-way up Blacksmith when I got that idea in their ears. Maybe next puppy venture...
[quote wiperhunter2]Nice report and pics ETDT, were there many folks there, anyone in a boat or float tube?[/quote]

There were plenty of Cannoes and Kyacks about near the dam. Just one guy showed up with his float tube as I was leaving in anger....glad he did not ask how I was doing!

Should you choose to take out your boat you are gonna feel like a rubber ducky in a very small bath tub.

The majority of the time I was all by my lonesome.....and had that fly rod not broken I am sure I coulda managed over 20 fish.

Probley gonna have to go back!
[signature]
[quote JLG78]Nice to see a good report from Causey. I live like 20min from there but I avoid it like the plague.. I have never done well there.[/quote]

Causey is DEEP and STEEP.......requiring some different tactics than most waters. As the temps drop the fishing will likely pick up. Let me know if you ever want to hit that place up....as I said on the post above.....I will probely be heading back for a rematch in the coming weeks!
[signature]
Yeah keep me in mind next time you go. I don't Hate[/i] Causey... but like I said just haven't ever had an awesome day there so I might try it like once a year. I just have so many other options in the area its usually low on the list.
[signature]
[quote CoyoteSpinner]

Nice report - but you never came back about the Kokanee. See any redbacks? Almost hit the Pig with my kids today, but we were already half-way up Blacksmith when I got that idea in their ears. Maybe next puppy venture...[/quote]

Only saw 2 in the river.....thats all there is to say.
[signature]
That was me throwing in the tube as you were leaving at about 6:30ish. Didn't get anything until I got across from the dam then first fish on (about a foot long bow). I only managed 3 in the hour and a half I was there, two bows and a little tiger, and probably missed 3 more.

[fishin]
[signature]