Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hybrid turkey's, no tag required?
Hi all, just have a quick question for you all.

A co-worker of mine has a large group of turkeys that has been eating out his garden. It had been costing him money as he typically sells what he grows. He called up the Fis and Game, they took a look and said that they were a cross-breed between domestic and wild turkeys, and as such they would not move them, but they were open game as far as being shot without a tag, outside of the normal season, etc. Have any of you heard of something like this? I have been searching around and cant find anything about it. I would love to help him with his turkey problem and get a little table fare, but I definitely do not want to do anything wrong. Anyone have any links or information they could share so I know if I dare proceed or not?
Why not just call the fish and game and ask?
[signature]
Sounds like your co-worker was given the go ahead verbally. I would have your co-worker get back with the UDWR and get it in writing. This sounds reasonable to me.
[signature]
Contact the very same person with the dwr that gave this info to your friend. Ask them how to properly identify the differences between wild and hybrids. This way your are covering all bases. A written statement saying it ok to harvest a hybrid without a license, etc. sounds like a great opputunity.
[signature]
Thanks guys. I wasn't able to call yesterday because I was at work all day, so I am going to give them a call today.
[signature]