Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
walk in duck hunting
Does anyone know any good areas where I can walk in to duck hunt I use to have some Buddy's to duck hunt with and they had a boats but we've lost touch when the company we work for went under so if anyone wants to take a beginner out and teach him to do it right shoot me a PM I have some decoys and of course I have Camo, waiters and a gun I'm willing to hike if I have to thanks for the info in advance
[signature]
there are lots of great places within walking distance on all of the WMAs, use google maps and get out and do some walking! Using google maps and then doing a bit of bushwacking my buddies have found some incredible spots at the bear river bird refuge.
Not many people get excited about showing others their hard won spots, they're good because few people hunt them.

I'll send you a PM
[signature]
Thanks fish or die I am not trying to get anybody honey hole just wanted to know maybe if there was some were I could walk in I guess I should say I'm not really a beginner but I have only been duck hunting 5 er 6 times does anyone know anywhere around heber City
[signature]
What refuge would you like to hunt? Do you have decoys?
[signature]
Head right on over to Deer Creek if you're in Heber city. Hunt the backside by the train tracks. I don't think the mitigation ponds below the Jordonelle dam are open to hunting.

Start asking around and see if you can get on some private land with a pond. If you can that would be great. Private land with irrigation ditches can be sweet spots too if they hold a little water.

Jump shooting along the river can be good to.

DUcks fly every night looking for other ducks to hang with, take a drive at sun down and look for them, they will be back tomorrow, most likely.
[signature]
Thanks for all the good information on have to check out deer Creek are you talking about the Provo River? Is there somewhere along the provo river where you could walk in jumpshoot ducks

I'm thinking of going to Farmington Bay on Friday I'm wondering if I walk to dike if there are spots were I could be retrieve ducks on the water with just my waiters or if I need to bring my float tube which is Camo since I've never been there I do not know how did the marsh is
[signature]
Having to retrieve ducks with just waders is a tough way to go. You would need your tube just for safety. The mud out there can be really deep and it is not uncommon to get stuck up to your knees. Having a tube to brace off of and get yourself out can be a real life saver. Tubes can be a real pain to get in and out of on the banks though, even more so with a shotgun in your hands and a bag of dekes to drag along.

What I used to do before I had a dog (Justin used to love watching me do this) was to carry along a stiff ice fishing pole with a bass sized reel full of 8 lb test on it. I made a snagging lure out of a piece of old broom handle and fastened 3 huge treble hooks to it. The biggest trebles I could find. When I knocked a duck down I would cast out past it, then by walking up or down the dike, snag the duck with the lure and retrieve it. It worked great most of the time and sure beat waiting for the wind to blow my ducks to shore. Some times the duck would come off and I would have to cast a couple of times to get it in, but it was way better than getting stuck in the mud.

If you go to Farm. avoid the crowds on the main dike and go in from the south enterance. Once you cross the bridge if you go left there will be fewer people. If you go right, when you get to the 4 corners, keep going straight along the back side of the dump.

As far as walking along the river, I don't live in Heber, so ask around up there. You'll get better information and it's a good way to get invited to hunt private property if you happen to ask the right people.
[signature]
Another thing to think about when hunting any of the diked refuges is the way they were built. A crane with a drag bucket sits on the dike and dredges mud from the bottom of each side to keep building the dike in front of it as it crawls along.

What this does is make a channel that is deep and steep right along the dike. It may be 4-5 feet deep right next to the dike but only 2' deep 30' out from the dike. this makes it hard in a tube to get in and out and hard to get across that first few feet of pond.

When I used to use my tube I would not use boots or flippers, they just get stuck in the mud. I would just wear my waders with their stocking feet and kick across the channel with them and then scoot along with my feet on the bottom once the water got shallow again.

Another thing to remember about Farmington is that some of the borders are surrounded by private clubs. One of them, due west of the south border from the south enterence only hunts every other day. If it is a day they are not hunting the birds will gather up on their land and rest with little action coming off that direction.
[signature]
Thanks for all the good information troll unfortunately the forcible removal of a tooth from my jow[pirate] this morning is gonna make me postpone my trip till sometime next week I'll just have to convince my wife to let me buy a canoe haha has anyone ever duck hunted at Strawberry A few years back me and my friends are there for the opener we did pretty good we broke the boat we lost the dog I am between the 4 of us we shot 2 ducks[:p]
[signature]
I've done well at the Berry. Back behind the island and in the southernmost part before it goes into the narrows.

We hunt at daybreak and then fish.
Blast and cast, It doesn't get any better than that.

A canoe will open up a whole lot of hunting to you. Make retrieving a whole lot easier too.

Keep your eyes open on KSL, there are often some for cheap. Go to the canoe and row boat section and do a keyword for canoe. There's an aluminium one there for $175, been on for 17 days, bet you could get it for $150.
[signature]
At times we have had some good jump shooting on the Strawberry River above the lake.

There are a couple of little creeks that flow into Deer Creek on the north end that the beavers have damed up making some small pools to check out too.
[signature]
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.