Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Huns?
Hey all,
So I asked this same request for info last year, but never was able to make the trip. Hungarian Partridge are my bucket list bird for the year. I was just wondering if any of you guys up north could point me (a Utah County boy) in the right direction to get into a few birds. PM's are more than welcome, as I understand most people not wanting the world knowing their hunting spots. Also, I would be very happy to accompany you if you are planning a hunting trip for them. I have a couple dogs that love to hunt, but other than that I am in the dark when it comes to these birds. I have seen one covey each of the past two years in my annual trip to North Dakota for pheasants, but was unable to seal the deal, and have been itching to get some ever since.
So, any help/info is appreciated.
Thanks
[signature]
The only place I have ever shots Huns in Utah is up North in Howell valley or even farther North toward Snowville, the problem is, it is almost all on private land and you will need to get permission to hunt them there. I'm sure there are other areas but you will likely have the same problem, you will need to knock on doors to get permission.
[signature]
Thanks, I was planning on trying out some walk-in-access properties. We will see how it goes (hopefully in the next couple weeks).
[signature]
Howell valley use to sell permits to hunt pheasants but they changed the way they sell them, so it is a little harder to get them now. I heard this week that they don't allow people to hunt anything but pheasants now because people were shooting the other game birds and rabbits and leaving them.[mad] I have never hunted birds down your way but I would bet there are areas South of you that have birds as well. Your best bet would be to contact a DNR agent in that area and just ask them what would be a good area.
[signature]
Definatly try the walk-ins. Just take a cell phone because some of them you need to call a number and get an authorization number.
[signature]