Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Daughters 1st Buck! (+ son in laws!)
Hey all,
I'm having a good year this year!

Got my bull elk (see other post), and this last weekend on the rifle deer hunt, my 16 year old daughter as well as my son-in-law (married to my oldest daughter...not the 16 year old!) both got their first bucks!

Whitney (16 year old daughter) got hers opening day evening. Two bucks ran across the road in front of us while we were driving around the dirt roads on the mountain on the 4 wheeler. They started heading up the hill into the trees so we slammed on the brakes and got off the 4wheeler, grabbed the rifle and loaded a round into it while I was whistling trying to stop the bucks. We ran about 10 yards closer in the trees and both bucks stopped and without even a dead rest Whitney shot and dropped one of them on the spot with one shot from her .223! 75 yards, through the trees ,uphill, with no rest! She is awesome! All that range time paid off!

[inline Whitney1small.JPG]

[inline Whitneydadsmall.JPG]
And then the same day earlier at lunchtime, I told my son-in-law Jared (married to my 28 year old daughter) that we had seen some deer out in the sagebrush behind camp earlier but did not know if any were bucks or not. He hopped on his 4 wheeler with his rifle and headed out while the rest of us bumbled around camp. About 20 minutes later we heard a BOOM off in the distance...Jared's first buck! About 135 yards out into the sagebrush! We dragged it back to the edge of the trees for the picture and to gut it.

[inline Jared1small.JPG]

This was my son-in-laws very first buck tag that he ever drew, and the guys in camp told me the night before that now that he drew a tag and was officially a hunting member of the family if he didn't get a buck, his nickname was going to be "Buckless" (in reference to "Escanaba De La Moonlight") and that further more, I would be known as the Father-in-law-of-Buckless, so the pressure was on. He had a good laugh about that after the fact!
My daughter Whitney has been buck hunting once before with me when she was 14, but did not kill a buck. She has killed a couple of doe antelopes and was featured on "roughin in outdoors" with "Adam Eakle" last year. But this was her first buck, and she made a GREAT shot!

As a father, I simply cannot describe how proud I felt of both my daughter and my son-in-law getting their first bucks! All of you fathers out there know how difficult it is to get your kids into game like that...especially young girls!

Randy
[signature]
I used to N.ot have E.nough T.ime O.ff to go fishing.  Then I retired.  Now I have less time than I had before. Sheesh.
Congrats on the family of killers!
[signature]
Congrats to all. Nice post!
[signature]