Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My new ODC 420
So I have been lurking on he for awhile now. I have been fishing from the shore mostly and enjoying my time fishing. Some how migrated to the float tube section of BFT and decided that float tubing might be for me. I have pouring thru the forum for while trying to learn as much as possible. I had been looking around for a tube for awhile and found a great deal on the ODC 420 on ebay. Got it ordered and when it arrived, I quickly realized I was in over my head and needed some help. So I put up the Tubing help call, its similar to call for batman LOL. As the big shiny light with a tube in the middle shown brightly, Tubedude answered the call with tons of advice and pointers. Using my powers of persuasion...... well mainly begging and pleading, TD agreed to help me out with outfitting the tube with some rod holders and some tool holders. He has some amazing skills in working with PVC. I cannot thank him enough in agreeing to help me out. His tackletorium and tubetorium are truly amazing places to behold. The pics of the final work are below.
Today I got the tube out on the water! So Stoked! Took the tube up to the Kaysville Ponds. Nice calm water and plenty of access points on the ponds. Based upon TD's advice I took the tube out for a spin with no rods or gear. Took to it like a fish in water. Had a blast! I put the rods in the tube and and some tackle and gear. Caught a small channel cat dragging a worm on the bottom. No pics of the fish. Just a pic of the tube sitting on the bank. Have to say its addicting and looking forward to getting the tube out again for another adventure.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Happy that I could help contribute to your new passion/addiction. I think you will enjoy it as you pick up the skills and experience in fishing afloat.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Glad you were able to find a spot to get in the water and that you survived the maiden voyage...and even caught something. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]It only gets better/worse from here.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Congratulations on some wise choices......such as coercing Tubedude!!

That is a nice looking set up that you'll enjoy for many years. The addiction has begun!

I'm looking forward to some fish fish pictures and reports now.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Hey, you also gotta set up and take pics of that new idea for the GoPro camera mount on the left side. Anxious to see how that design works.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
TD,
I need to still play with that. I will hopefully get to this week. Didnt take the gopro with me this last time since it was the maiden voyage and I didnt want to have to many things to fiddle with.
[signature]
I too have an ODC420, and like the way those rod holders were "mounted". Not sure I'm understanding completely how they're held in place. Is there a piece of wood in the bottom of the pocket? Or is there an internal frame of PVC in the pocket that the holder mounts/screws to? When I saw the bungy-less installation, I REALLY liked it.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]We used the "modular" setup for rod holders and utility rack that I came up with about 3 years ago. It consists of building a wooden frame inside the pockets and then screwing the PVC base to it through the pocket fabric.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I am attaching a PDF file that is a segment of a chapter from my book on making rod racks. With your 420 you will need slightly different sizes on the components. This was for a Fat Cat.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Hope it helps.[/#0000ff]
[signature]