Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
new to burbot
Hey guys, I'm new to burbot fishing and can anyone give me some tips. I'm going ice fishing, and I have never been to flaming gorge, can someone give me a good location on where to catch burbot in utah. And what are some of the lures and baits you use. And what kind of tackle would you recommend. Thanks guys.
[signature]
Location is not important, generally. They really like crawdads so rocky areas are prime. (The whole lake is rocky area w/ crawdads). There are more important factors than location. Once you have all the other factors dialed in and you are not doing very good - just move around and you'll find them. (Usually you can just move 50-100 yards).

Points are good, ledges are good, etc.

Depth can be an important factor depending on time of year. 10-15ft is best general depth but they do move shallower during spawn and you can always find some deeper too.

You can use 6 rods or lines per person. So spread them out, put some shallow and taper them off deep until you figure out where they seem to be cruising.

Baits: Think big. I like using tube jigs, twister tails and spoons for my active rods. I usually use a piece of sucker that is about a half inch wide and up to 3-4" long. When you add that to a 4-5" tube or spoon your bait is about 7-8" long in some cases... and even the smaller burbot will eat this size bait. I don't know how they get it in their mouth but they do.

Burbot like to stay very close to the bottom. It's hard to use flashers to locate them at the Gorge because most places the bank is so steep the cone angle does not give you a good reading of the bottom. (many of you have seen this - where you drop your lure down to the "bottom" indicated by the flasher and it keeps going another 6 feet and you can't see whats going on).

When jigging keep your jigs fairly subtle and slow, lift 6-12" off the bottom. Bouncing your rig off the bottom seems to work good - creates enough sound and vibration that it calls them in I believe.

Hmm what else? For your deadstick rods just use jigheads or hooks / sinkers and you want to set your bait anywhere from a few inches off the bottom to a foot or so up off the bottom. (on the bottom works sometimes too).

Stay away from the crowds. Some places get fished hard all winter and there is definitely an impact on fishing. Also I doubt you'll be able to fish for them much in Utah? The Northern portions of the Wyoming side get ice first and most years the southern portion of the lake does not even ice up?
[signature]
A couple of more things I just thought of. A lot of people think glow is super important but I don't really know how much I buy that. I've done equally well with non-glow baits.

Remember these fish are hunting down baby bass, chubs, suckers, crawdads and they primarily feed at night. All of those natural prey items do not glow and the burbot can find it just fine... Glow baits are more un-natural than natural if you ask me!!!

But if you must, go glow!

Also it takes awhile to figure out how these fish bite. They do not just rush in and slam your bait and end up getting hooked. When you feel the slight bump of them mouthing your bait, give them time!! You will miss a lot of fish if you try to set the hook too early. I like to give them just a little bit of slack after I feel the first bump and after waiting a second or two I give them the hookset. Once they find your bait they will eat it - if you give them time! This is especially true when you are using the big baits they seem to like.

Last point I can think of is this: Some nights you will catch the majority of your burbot on your active jigging rod. Other nights your 5 deadstick rods will be going off almost non stop and the jigging rods don't produce as well. What gives? I don't know...
[signature]
They like night crawlers plenty good if you can't get your hands on fresh sucker.

Fresh bait is best - no doubt about it.
[signature]
Have you had success with store bought fish. Suckers/Chubs/Chovies etc. Do you think Shrimp would work?
[signature]
A couple things that work for me that I dont believe Gem mentioned. I have learned on the ice and from my "Ling Mentor",heavier flourocarbon line seems to work better.. mono has too much stretch at 20 to 50 ft deep and doesnt set the hook very well. Also if they are that deep, I have set the hook again about half way up. They seem to have a hard mouth. Its aggravating to reel one up almost to the hole and they just spit it out.

I have started using Berkley Fire Line Crystal 20# test. I have yet to break it.
[signature]
Location location location you can't catch them where they ain't , the wy side of the res has way better numbers and more forage I have been doing very good on mud flats with very little rock! I am fishing glow grubs on a 3/8oz head with a small chunk of meat you don't want a big peace that will get under the shank and stop the hook from penetrating! Scent is a mager key crawfish smelly jelly and I don't care what any one says glow glow glow! We have boated over 950 burbs in less than 50hrs fishing one mud flat up the green river arm with very little rock structure burbot are fun easy to catch great to eat just keep it simple fish in 2-50ft gen 20-30 is your best bet an just go out and kill some burbs if you still have guest ions pm me and we will send you in the right direction! I will share a couple pics one is Gary winterton from hooked on Utah we filmed for 2hrs and boated 105 burbs secound one is me and a couple close pals that boated 220 in 4.5hrs / one very cool thing I have learned in the last few yrs is that open water fishing for ling is 10times better!!!! Good luck!
[signature]
That's what I call putting a dent in the Bots! Awesome!
[signature]
Hey, Ash,

How big is the reward them burbs got posted fer yer head on top of a fencepost?
[signature]
Lol I bet it's Geting hire! Around 6000 ling worth in the last two seasons! Just waiting for The state of wy to pull there heads out and take them off the game fish list!!!! It's the only invasive species I have ever had to care for with silk gloves!!!!
[signature]
Quote:• A person may use up to six lines without a
second-pole permit when fishing at Flaming Gorge Reservoir [red]through the ice[/red]. When using more than two lines at Flaming Gorge Reservoir, the angler’s name shall be attached to each line, pole or tip-up, and the angler shall check only their lines.

Ya can't use six lines yet.
[signature]
The OP wanted information on targeting them through the ice.

I knew you can only use two rods for open water - I would hope people would read the regs before doing any kind of fishing anywhere though.
[signature]