Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ducking the storm
Hunted Friday and Saturday mornings. Saw a lot of ducks, could have shot better, but hey. Got a couple gadwall drakes on Friday, and missed a woody (only had one shell left in the gun). Shot a green wing and a hen mallard this morning. I also shot another teal type duck that I am not familiar with. I haven't been able to identify it on the good ol' web.
So I am hoping one of you waterfowl experts can identify the duck in the fourth picture. It is the same duck in the second and third pics in the middle.
[signature]
My first guess would be a younger bufflehead. Nice job geting out and getting some birds that green wing teal sure looks good
[signature]
Yep it's a buffle head.

When I started waterfowling I found a book called The LeMaster Method. It really helped me with identifing the birds that I was lucky enough too pull out of the sky.

The thing that I liked about this book is that it has descriptions and illustrations of male, female, and juvinel ducks. It also covers flock shapes and filght patters and even how how the normaly fly to help figure out what your shooting at instead of seeing what you have got in hand.

Here is a link or the book that I'm talking about.

[url "http://www.amazon.com/Waterfowl-Identification-The-LeMaster-Method/dp/B002IDK93U/ref=sr_1_5?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1352578161&sr=1-5&keywords=the+lemaster+method"]http://www.amazon.com/Waterfowl-Identification-The-LeMaster-Method/dp/B002IDK93U/ref=sr_1_5?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1352578161&sr=1-5&keywords=the+lemaster+method[/url]
[signature]
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.
Thanks for the ID guys. Good to know what it was. He came in solo and decoyed perfect, guess it isn't saying much to fool a youngin', but a decoying shot bird is good by me. Anyways, thanks again and good luck out there.

And thanks for the comment on the green wing (he was a good looking bird).
[signature]
It is a bufflehead hen to be precise. Shot 4 today at public. 2 greenwings, 2 wigeon. The weather was great. The duck hunting was not so great for the weather. There were a couple guys that shot about 50 rounds a piece for about 5 birds a piece. I wish people would shoot less often at ducks at 50 + yards. They take it as encouragement when they knock down cripples, and think they are great shots. Stunning....[mad]
[signature]
The white patch on the wing is the giveaway for the bufflehead. It is similar looking to a ruddy duck as well. The ruddy does not have the white wing patch. Both are small and fast like the teal.

Nice work.
[signature]
Hen Bufflehead for sure! I had a flock of 6 fly right through my spread going mock 4 before I could even raise my gun! But there was a trophy drake in with them that I wanted badly for my collection on my wall.
[signature]