Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
pheasants 2012
With my new baby girl and busy juggling Jobs its been tough to get out this year, I usually have had several awesome waterfowl days by now and I have only been out for the youth hunt this year! So needless to say it felt GREAT to get my dog out on some birds this pheasant hunt. I've been able to get on 4 limits of birds for me and a few birds for buddies too...and one day I shot a rooster and a hen mallard that gave us a buzz high overhead, I use steel shot on pheasants so I figured why not. on the 4th day of the hunt she came back to me with blood everywhere, took her to work and scrubbed her up and gave her 7 staples in the front leg, loose barbed wire I'm guessing, gave her a couple days off but she's back at it now.
Now I know all guys brag about their dogs and everyone you talk to has the best hunting dog on earth. I'll admit I wish my 3yr old choc lab would hit the muddy cattails harder, and sometimes I wish she would range a little farther (i know opposite of most) but other than that she's awesome. I have heard of pointing lab breeds, but I got my dog from a small time breeder locally, she's not even papered and I gave $200 for her. She points as good as most and better than a lot of pointing breeds Ive hunted with. I've spent hundreds or thousands of hours training her to do blind retrieves, handle with whistle and hand signals, and since she was young I tried to teach her to slow down on birds . By the end of her first pheasant season she was starting to point, so I got pigeons and reinforced it with praise and she's solid as a rock now! Pointing labs rock!
The last picture shows her on point, I have a great video too ill see if I can link it.
[signature]
Awesome pics, wish we had better rooster country out here, I love waterfowling but I love me some pheasant hunting!

That's a little lab you got there! never hunted with one that pointed but next year I'm hoping to get a pointing lab from a breeder out of brigham city, his females are about that size too.

Where are the awesome waterfowl pics for your awesome waterfowl hunts??
[signature]
I wish we had better rooster stuff around here too. Ya, she's a little lab, during the hunt she dips below 50 pounds but most the year i can keep her up to 55ish. I was hoping for a bigger dog when I got her, but she does better than I expected in Icy rivers and big birds. It's a treat to hunt with one that points, its sure exciting to see a dog lock up.

Like I said, the youth hunt is the only day i've been out for waterfowl this year and we got limits of mallards and pinnies, most years I make it out 3-4 days a week, but just hasnt happened this year.
Here's a couple pics from the last couple years, my pups first waterfowl hunt is the first pic.
[signature]
check this rooster pic i took this year!!
[signature]
Wow! those are some fantastic pics! Are they all in Utah?
[signature]
that is an incredible picture! I dare say I've seen that a time or two!
[signature]
I'll have to give you an A+ on being able to stay with him and take the picture! [Wink][Wink][Wink]
[signature]
not bad ehh considering that was taken with my old phone no zoom
[signature]
Very nice looking Dog... good birds too. attaching a pic of my lab and his frist goose. Check out the bling..
[signature]