Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bird dogs
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3][/size][/font]
[size 3][font "Calibri"]I currently have a Llewellyn setter! Great dog for uplandgame! I’ve yet to see a dog that can keep up. But when it comes to waterfowl heis worthless. I’m in the market for a retriever. Thinking lab then might end upbreeding them to produce the ultimate all around bird dog. I know many peoplehave crossed a lab with a shorthair to produce a similar result. I was a germ shorthairfan until I saw a Llewellyn work. Any suggestions? [/font][/size]
[signature]
I had a chesapeake bay retriever for a couple of years and he was the best dog. They are basically like a lab but are more tuff when it comes to cold weather. He loved people and got along fine with other dogs. I haven't seen one cross with a pointer but I'm sure it would be good. I liked having something that wasn't a lab like every other hunter has. They train really easy too.
[signature]
You don't need to breed a pointer with a lab to get a pointer lab, just buy a pointing lab!

http://www.duckpup.com/

I have a buddy that owns one and he's turned out to be a great dog with fantastic natural drive. Another friend just got his little yellow lab pup that is getting darker every day, looks like he may turn red like his dad!
[signature]
Post up a pic of your setter!
[signature]
[quote CatchinCompany]I liked having something that wasn't a lab like every other hunter has.[/quote]

There's a reason for that you know. Ever heard the saying, "a million screaming Elvis fans can't be wrong"?
[signature]
I actually haven't heard that before, and I don't like Elvis either. I'm not knocking labs they can be great dogs too if you get the right blood line. Labs have been bred some many times and a lot of them end up being just a family pet. That's why I would choose something else.
[signature]
[quote CatchinCompany]I don't like Elvis either.[/quote]

[:/]
[signature]
[quote CatchinCompany]I actually haven't heard that before, and I don't like Elvis either. I'm not knocking labs they can be great dogs too if you get the right blood line. Labs have been bred some many times and a lot of them end up being just a family pet. That's why I would choose something else.[/quote]

Exact reason I went Chessie. They flat out hunt harder than any lab I have ever seen. They can be hard headed though. Trained right they are as good of an upland dog as they are a water dog only problem is they overheat fast if you hunt in warm weather. Mine has been out to SoDak on Pheasants 5 times now and she won't out sniff the pointers but I havent lost a bird with her in two trips out there.
[signature]

[signature]
good lookin pup! I like that dark color on him. I bet that long fur is a pain though!

We had a golden retriever growing up and while he was a good hunting dog and beautiful, that hair was such a pain to clean out after every pheasant hunt! Next dog was a lab and we never had to worry about his hair, loved it!
[signature]
[size 3]Oh it’s morethan a pain! And I really like to hunt where the nasty cockle burs are. I justrefuse to cut his hair. He is too good looking. Usually takes an hour or soafter every day hunting to remove them all. He has gotten pretty good atremoving a lot of them on his own. But this dog has a nose like no other andmore drive and endurance and bird craziness then I have ever seen in a dog, it’sa real joy to watch him work.[/size]
[signature]
If you ever have an open spot, send me a PM, I'd love to watch him work!

Hunting behind a good upland dog has to be one of the coolest things in the hunting universe!
[signature]
You just have not hunted with the right lab. Labs are the best pet and water-dogs there are. Nothing wrong with Chessies, but Utah does not get cold enough to keep them real comfortable. (read this as a friendly jab at chessies)[:p]
[signature]
I went and bought a chessy yesterday. Here she is.

This is lady

Now the fun of training a puppy begins
[signature]
Congrats on the new family member!
[signature]
Very nice! I'm sure you will be happy with her.
[signature]
Fine looking savage you have there.hope to see her at the dog training hole. They love to work. Give her a couple months and keep her busy with some duck feathers, and balls.
[signature]
Good looking pup. Just remember to not try and train them like you would a lab, they are wired very differently. Labs aim to please, chessies aim to follow rules they have been taught. Lots of other quirks. Get her hunting fast, don't be scared to start her early. The last 3 chessies weve trained we started em all before 6 months with the earliest being at 3.5 months old and they only get better.

Here is a few pics of mine that is 5.5 now.
[Image: 1086583160_l.jpg]
Think she was 5 months old here and she handled all this on a warm water spring by herself.
[Image: l_b4857237de110889a776de1f355c5e4f.jpg]
another cold morning
[Image: n505525478_1158251_7391.jpg]
[signature]
Used to have two Irish Setters. Great dogs, but hunting Utah Lake area, was a pain for all kinds of burs and such. Two things that made it easier on me and the dogs.

Use Vaseline under the arm pits on the forlegs. Keeps any burs from sticking and chafing. As for the rest of the coat, cream rinse was the ticket. Just buy a gallon of cheap cream rinse from Walmart and use that on the burrs that stick. Put em under the shower afterward and they are silky smooth till the next hunt !!
great idea with the arm pit prevention that is the most problematic area for sure.
[signature]