Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bird dogs
You have a lot of options when it comes to a new dog breed.

There are a few things.

Not all breeds are created equal.

Not all dogs within a breed are created equal.

It is important to get a quality dog from a quality breeder, because witnessing a dog go through hip dyspepsia, getting a pet, or getting a dog that is too much to handle is not ideal.

Call references from the breeder and talk to people about the process of buying a dog and do not just go through some random Joe on KSL.

There is a big difference between a dog from a quality breeder and a backyard breeder.

There are also dog breeds that are not for everyone and that includes hunters.

I would put the Germain Wirehaired Pointer, Deutsch-Drahthaar, German Shorthaired Pointer, and Cheasepeake Bay Retriever in that category. Too many of them get sent into rescues or get sold, because people are not prepared for the hot rods that they are.

GWP / DD - Are tough to beat in terms of hunting whether it is fur, bird, or tracking. They hunt, hunt, hunt, etc and when they sleep the dream about more hunting. They also double as guard dogs. Very good hunting breed, but not for everyone. They have a mind of their own and a desire that can be way more than most people are used too. I had one that would hunt in the car on trips. Scanning in the window and looking for prey.

GSP - Do everything dogs. Most people do not realize how high strung they can be. They are driven by wanting to please, but can go rogue and created their own adventures - which is more than most people can take. Only so many times of the dog getting out or chewing on expensive equipment people can take before they get rid of them. They are supreme athletes that at times seem like they are shot out of a cannon. The only hunting issue with a GSP is hunting in the cold, there is only so much they can take.

Chessies - Best retriever in the game. Ice or No Ice. A lot of people get them thinking that they are a lab and are soon mistaken. They will play fetch every day until you get bored. They will make retrieves that other dogs can only dream about making. They can be stubborn and it is only because the owners fail at unlocking the potential. The perceived stubbornness is actually a gift when it comes to retrieving, because they generally do not give up until the job is done. Highly motivated and have a strong dislike of being a couch potato.

Most other breeds are going to be very friendly to most hunters, although some are more prone for getting into trouble when they do not get enough attention, exercise, or mental stimulation.

One of the breeds that is growing in popularity is the Wirehaired Pointing Griffon. Essentially a Lab personality in a versatile breed. There are great dogs all around. They also do not shed much, which is a plus if your vacuum cleaner seems to get clogged a lot by dog hair. Very Smart breed that works relatively close. They would be a better dog more most people in leiu of the 3 breeds above.

I would also not discount labs from a reputable breeder as a retriever. They are bred to hunt and not bred to be a cough potato.

Some other breeds that may be worth looking into.

Bracco Italiano - Hound looking pointer that has one of the coolest gates that you will ever see.

Small Munsterlander - Pint size pointer that has little hunting dog syndrome. Where it hunts as well as the big boys.

Pudelpointer - Like the GWP, but with a more calm demeanor. It is a breed and not a designer dog cross.

Lastly, if I was in your situation. I would probably look at another Setter from a breeder that the parents retrieve. You can work a pointer and a setter together, but I wouldn't recommend working a flusher and setter together. Unless you train the flusher to back up the setter and flush after you are within range. It would be easier to get another Setter or Pointer to work the birds as you are accustomed too.