Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Duck hunting in the rain....
Everyone has heard that stormy weather is great for duck hunting. I went out yesterday in the rain to see if i could pop a few for dinner. Nothing was flying at all..... Didnt pull the trigger once. Just curious what you all think of hunting in the rain? I know wind temp has a bit to do with it.... If a stormy day is not best then what is?????????
[signature]
Stormy day with a stiff breeze is the very best. Followed by a clear day with a stiff breeze. IMO the wind factor is the very best thing to get ducks flying.

Stormy weather just keeps them low, and therfore easier to hit.

So a stormy day with a good wind will keep them flying, and they will be flying low. [Smile]
[signature]
Totally agree with Pookiebear, Wind is just about the only factor that matters when it comes to getting ducks moving!

the only thing better than a good 15mph wind is a 15mph wind and FOG! keeps the ducks on the deck instead of a mile up!
[signature]
only 3 things make birds move

Weather

Food

Predators

I dont think Rain means a thing one way or the other. it's the weather that brings the rain that makes it great.

Headed to UL int he AM, if the wind isnt too stiff. UL gets alittle hairy if the wind is strong. IF it is, we might walk in to Farmington somehwere. probably south end. Anyone else going? Ideas?
[signature]
Rain sucks. It moves birds out. Just my observation. Wind, especially pre-front, is great. Wind also adds realism to the dekes as usually keeps them flying lower. Snow can be great if you are on the spot the ducks want to be. Bluebird days are a mix and I cannot figure them out.
[signature]
Blue bird days with no wind, you have to be out on the big water in a layout blind, or sunk box. Then you need a big, and I mean BIG spread. Like 100 - 200 deeks on the water. The most effective way of doing that is with a mix of silohuettes with floaters on the edges.

All told I can get a spread of 300, and it is a nightmare to clean up!! But I have had some really good shoots with the big spread on a blue bird day. [Smile]
[signature]
A canoe works pretty well. Camoed, with a couple sheets of grass..
[signature]
What are you using to push that thing Jmaze?
[signature]
that sounds like no fun setting up and taking down that many decoys
[signature]
Minn Kota electric 50# thrust. A titch slow but it goes everywhere.
[signature]
Silouhette's make up the bulk of that kind of spread, I have 200. They just have a 2 ft steel wire stake that you push into the mud. They are very fast to put out and clean up, you just have to pull them up out. Then the last ones are floaters. You put the floaters mostly on the edges and in small groups within the silouhette flock.
[signature]