Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fishing Below Gem Lake Dam
Fished below Gem Lake Dam today for a few hours. Managed to land 5 browns between two of us. All on white tube jigs with 3\4 oz heads. Lost a fish right at the bank that was 5lbs easy. All but 1 were ripe and hadn't spawned yet. Fish in the pics below are typical of the average sized fish I usually catch there. Have a couple on my wall that struck the same white tube jigs around this time of year. Have heard stories from IdahoFalls power Employees of big browns below the Dam above the SunnySide Bridge in IF and below the dam below the GreenBelt. Anyone caught fish there? Going to try and jet up there soon.
[signature]
Pics didn't show???? Lets try again.
[signature]
Beautiful browns!

On the pictures: If you check the "inline" box, they won't show up without an additional step. You have to click on the little picture icon (below the italics icon) and then choose your inline picture.

If you just leave the inline box unchecked the picture link will show at the bottom of the post.
[signature]
Yeah, swinging that point is pretty good fishing.
[signature]
Not a secret for sure. Ever fish below the other dams above the lake?
[signature]
I've often heard stories of fish in there but have only caught the odd one every so often. Never used the tube jig though. Maybe I sure do that more.
[signature]
Beautiful fish! I still haven't landed any brown trout since moving to Idaho. Anyone know of any bank access areas near the Mountain Home/Boise area for brownies?
[signature]
There are some browns in the Boise River. Plenty of public access. That's the closest place to Mountain home that I am aware of.
[signature]
[quote TroutManiac]Not a secret for sure. Ever fish below the other dams above the lake?[/quote]

I've fished it all. It was even better before the dams. [Image: bobwink.gif]
[signature]
Those are some beautiful brownies, nice job. I was down below Gem Lake a few years ago throwing a rap in the pond and had something pick it up, didn't feel like a trout and when I got it to shore I had a 21 inch smallmouth bass! Darkest green you ever saw. Tipped the scale at 5.25 lbs. Has anyone else caught those there or was that just a fluke?
[signature]
Hmmmmm The fishing was always better yesterday, last week, last year, ect. Wish I could have fished these rivers back in the day. Gonna try the dam above sunnyside tomorrow and maybe the upper one too. Feel good about my chances. Will report back
[signature]
The fishing is still pretty fair!

You just need a good read on the drift!
[signature]