Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
'Berry report (Friday the 8th)
Had an o.k. day at the 'Berry shorefishing. Any day at the 'Berry is better than a good day at work. Anyhooters, I got to Chicken Creek East at about 6:15 a.m., and it was dark and VERY foggy. I'd never been to CKE before, so I was a bit lost at first. jrs4x4 said he was killing them there a week or two ago, so I thought I'd give it a try. Problem was, as you turn off from the hwy you go about 200yards and then a road turns to the left, but I went strait instead and parked by the bathroom, and headed strait out in the dark and fog not really knowing where I was going trudging through 8 inches of snow. Everywhere I went, you'd get about 20 ft away from waters edge, and you'd start to sink in this sulfer scented mud. I was thinking "man that jrs4x4 is full of crap."

Well, an hour and half later, I finally figured out that I should have taken that left turn dirt road past the outhouse to get to where the real fishing spot was. About 10 minutes after my first cast I caught a beautiful fat "19 Cut. It was great, but unfortunately I waisted the best shore fishing hours before this, so I didn't get anything else. Using shiners (from a bottle). They kept coming off my hook before it would hit the water. Gotta learn how to keep them on better, or try frozen ones.

Jrs4x4, I'll have to go with you next time to get your technique down better. There is ice forming at the edges. Ice fishing will be soon-VERY soon. Sorry about the novel[crazy]
[signature]
Thanks for the report, it can be tough going to a new place that you have never fished before. I'm sure the next time will be better. WH2
[signature]
The Berry can be frustrating from the shore no matter where you fish it. If you missed the morning hours, don't give up, later in the day and early evening until after darrk produces some of the biggest fish I catch there. You just have to brave the weather a bit and chip the ice from the eyes of your pole <grins>. Next time you go let me know I'll intro you to some other interesting spots at the Berry.
[signature]