Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Causey/pineview ice conditions?
Anyone fished pineview or causey in the last day or so? I heard its getting thin at causey but last weekend it seemed close to 2 ft in spots. Can it become unsafe that quick? I was planning on heading up Sunday but I don't want to drive up for nothing.
[signature]
I fished Pineview Tuesday there is about 8 inches of snow two inches of water on top of 12 inches of ice. Fishing was slow. But that was Tuesday.
[signature]
Well unsure what conditions will be on Sunday but these are the PV conditions today that I posted in another thread. Now based on the weather forecast if you want to believe that...temps are only going to get warmer. So guess the decision is yours to make. Here's the link to what I posted in another thread for you to ponder about. I've also heard haven't seen that Causey is basically in the same shape.

Pineview info scroll down within this thread to see what I just posted a little while ago:

[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/forum/Utah_Fishing_Forum_C55/Utah_Fishing_General_F58/gforum.cgi?post=795973;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;page=unread#unread"]http://www.bigfishtackle.com/forum/Utah_Fishing_Forum_C55/Utah_Fishing_General_F58/gforum.cgi?post=795973;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;page=unread#unread[/url]
[signature]
Thank you for the info, I must have missed that post. Maybe I'll have to go check it out Saturday after work and see if its going to be safe.
[signature]
No way it can become unsafe that quick...hasn't really even been too warm at all. Warm enough to make things a slush mess but not to melt the ice that quick. Edges at causey can be tricky tho so you might want to take a plank
[signature]
Yeah maybe I'll bring a plank or a ladder or something. If it does end up being too thin would maybe causey or hyrum or somewhere up north be better?
[signature]
Causey should be perfectly fine, only concerned about is getting on and off the ice. I'm taking my snowmobile up Saturday so I'll let you know how it is
[signature]
As indicated and I believe main body on PV will be probably okay. Yes you'll have slush and standing water on the main body. Last Friday when we were up there with snowmobiles it was a good 7-8" of clear ice under 2-3" of frozen slush with a topping of about 4-6" of snow. Now mind you this was before the last storms that hit Sunday-Wednesday. This added another 8-12" of snow on PV.

Getting on PV early probably okay but as I see it, coming off will be very interesting. As far as other northern bodies of water again per info I've received all are in about the same shape...soft shorelines and slush standing water on the main bodies. Have fun where you decide to go and be safe. Oh bring a change of clothes especially socks and boots just in case would be my recommendation FWIW.
[signature]
nice wiper, who caught it for ya? ready to slay some crappie?
[signature]
My brothers and I went up to slay the perch at Pineview this morning, 2/1/13, but the ice was too soft on the edges. So we went to Causey. Same issue, but not as bad. The lake has about 3 inches of snow on top of 6 inches of slush. The ice in the middle is 10 inches. There was a plank that was about 8 feet long and we made it off ok. One brother up to his hip. If you or anyone in your party is not able-bodied I'd skip it, unless it gets cold again.

Good Luck.

Also-We saw some big tracks on the ice that looked like cat tracks that were about the size of a baseball. Too round to be a dog.
[signature]
I caught the wiper all by myself believe it or not. I even have a video of it on my YouTube channel! Actually I think we are gonna go try to catch some Kokanee and hopefully a brown or tiger.
[signature]
In case anyone was wondering, I went to causey Sunday morning and the ice was just fine. We took a ladder to get onto the ice and didn't even need it, at 7:00am when we got there the edges were solid and getting off was easy because someone had left some planks set up by the dam. Spots out in the middle were over two feet thick. The ice was plenty thick everywhere we tried.
[signature]
Thanks for the info Jordan, now the question is, did you catch any kokes on this trip?
[signature]
I did! We caught 4 more decent kokanee and a ton of small rainbows. I hooked into something much bigger twice though. Both times I saw a huge school come through on the flasher and they were big solid red lines from about 25 to 35 feet almost solid. Both times my lure got slammed, the fish started taking drag and running like crazy and bending my rod almost clear down the hole and they both managed to get off just a few feet below the hole Sad
[signature]
Awesome, were you fishing the same spots as last time?
[signature]
Yep pretty much! We moved around a lot but most fish seemed to be in the same areas.
[signature]