Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Attractants - what's all the stink?
Do you use attractants? All the time? What brand/flavor? Do they work? Do you use them ice fishing, too? I've personally never done that well with them but maybe I'm missing something in the approach/application? Can you help me out? Thanks for the info!!![Smile]
[signature]
I've only used them a couple of times, and I can't say that it has improved my catch rate. I do have friends that swear by them though.
[signature]
Wish I could tell ya more than I know. I have never really had any positive experience using atractants, except with bass. I used a smelly jelly in crawfish on my bass lures when the catching is slow and by golly it sure does pick up after the jelly is applied. As for trout and other fish I have used a bunch of different kinds with no real results.
[signature]
I like adding scent my jiggs. I prefer anchovy smelly jelly when fishing for trout.
[signature]
Most of your soft plastic baits these days are being impregnated with scents.

I even noticed berkley has a line of in line spinners for trout that have a scent sac built in.

Do I use them? Oh yes. My favorite has to be the smelly jelly brand. Theres a few flavors I stick to. I havent tried the bannana, and just dont think I ever will, however, as BLM can attest to, I have tried the uncle josh's pork frogs.

I bought some junk from wal mart one day. Its called bait mate, live gamefish flavor. I havent caught one fish on that stuff. It smells like licorice. Been tempted to find out if it tastes like it a few times.

My rule of thumb is the stinkier the better. You must be "jar selective" When you are at the store, open up the botle you intend to buy. If the smell doesnt fill the isle, and over power your senses, either you have an old bottle, or you need to move to the next flavor.

Opening the bottle in the isle, not only allows you to know how good the stuff you are getting is, but also provides some humor when people walk by and wonder what that horrible smell is.

If it was economical, and environmental, I would smear scents all over the bottom of my boat and leave a massive trail for the fish to follow to my lures.

Your allpication will depend on what type of lure you are using, and what type of fish you are fishing for.

If a bait is already impregnated with scent, I generally leave it alone. and let it do its work. However, if you are throwing a tube to smallmouth bass, a little crawdaddy does the trick nice. If you are trolling a spoon for trout, dip it in a little anchovy salt, and if you are chasing the mighty musky or walleye, baitfish glow works nicely.

Just be sure that the lake you are fishing alows for the use of scents.
[signature]
never use them last time i went trout fishing MGB he used scent all day we caught the same number of fish 21 each BUT he did seem to get more bites just wasn't hooking them[Tongue]
[signature]
I wasn't a real big fan of the scent trail until this year - I ordered some shrimp scent from the tillmook bait company :

[url "http://www.TillamookBait.com"]http://www.TillamookBait.com[/url] (Thanks Marie)

and I was the only one in the boat to put some on my crankbait. To make a long story short - by the end of me hooking my third fish (chinook) everyone else was putting on the scent on their crankbaits. We did outfish everyother boat 4 to 1 and really that's the only difference.

This northwest forum board convinced me to try it and now I'm a believer. In fact, I ordered some for the upcoming Bear Lake trip next weekend. It sounds from the reports that we'll need something special to get into the fish like the other boys did this weekend.

Also, the question of what soap do you wash your hands with came up. The landslide answer was Lemon Fresh Joy - so I have added that to the supply list.

Again - I have tried smelly jelly, herring scents, and now Shimp scents. Now I think scents are just like bait - get the freshest, smelliest, and apply often. They do make a difference.

Good luck and any successful trip is always a combination of elements - with luck thrown in...
[signature]