Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Standing Deck
I would like a pontoon that can handle a place for me to stand and fish if I feel the need. What size pontoon would handle such a modification? I know they sell them ready to go however I haven't seen one in my price range. Any thoughts on construction and models under $500?

Thanks.
[signature]
Sorry, no help here. Frame construction and pontoons of good material are going to cost. Check Craigs List or KSL for used. I think at least 8 foot for a standing deck, but that also depends on how big you are.
There are videos of people standing on tubes and toons, but for me, the standing bar is a must. I am not that steady[Smile]
[signature]
I just happen to have a great sale on a frameless pontoon that you can stand up in. This pontoon has a swivel seat and a hard floor. The sale price is just a little over your budget but very close.
Check it out and PM or call me for more information. Ron 360-757-8171
[url "http://www.beatthebigboxboys.com/store-products-285FPB-PRO-285-Sea-Eagle-Inflatable-Pontoon-Pro-Package_42457957.html"]http://www.beatthebigboxboys.com/store-products-285FPB-PRO-285-Sea-Eagle-Inflatable-Pontoon-Pro-Package_42457957.html[/url]
[Image: 42457957_4237215490.jpg]
[signature]
There you go! But I still prefer the lean bar[Wink] And fin power[cool]

I have to ask, how is the rowing with the seat that high and oars that low? I see hitting legs or knees.
[signature]
The picture doesn't show it but the oar locks are raised about 6". It doesn't row to bad at all. For myself I prefer the cast or lean bar to old and out of shape for the fin power!!
[signature]
Thanks. They are the same oar locks that are on my frame less models, so I am familiar with them. I tell ya, I see the water moving and I start wavin' LOL Need that bar[Smile]
[signature]
Nice looking boat 2ezjg. And a great price too. If only I were in the market for another one, LOL.
[signature]
My skookum Steelheader is an easy boat to stand and fish. I even answer the call of nature standing it is super stable. The pontoons each have two compartments and the frame is set up to handle a gas engine. Problem is it is about 4 times more than what your wanting to spend.

The outcast stand up models have had a lot of problems with the frames breaking. There is a lot of pressure that is concentrated in a small area.

A stand up model is going to be expensive no matter what you do. But you could find a used one. I posted a used one that I found online a while back. It was 500 dollars. Good luck. Ron
[signature]
The frames or standing decks are breaking on the 10 IR? I haven't heard this.
I do think the ones Sportmen's sells is not the same as the Outcast line up although they may make it, but I would like to hear more about the standing deck models breaking. Have a few friends with them.

I do agree, stand up models are going to be higher priced. I rarely use mine, but I have it ....just in case[Wink]

Maybe look at some of the new SUP's on the market.

http://youtu.be/1WMKM171MTU
[signature]
After my Sportsman frame broke I contacted outcast. They told me that they had a frame for me. It was the 10 IR Stand up frame and it was beefed up to handle the load of the stand up model. I think they guy was named Chris. He said that so many 10 IR stand up models were having the trouble they came up with a system to beef them up.
Here is a picture of the part that they beefed up to handle the stand up. It was my understanding that it was not the welds that were failing but the tubing next to the weld. The overlay metal was to double up the metal to give it more strength. The big problem I see with these is there are only two cross pieces going from one side to the other. Those pieces are the seat/ standing support. When standing the load is more concentrated on the front support. I would never use this type of pontoon as a stand up. It is just not strong enough and there are a lot out there that are not as well built as the Outcast. It is spooky to think how flimsy some of them are. Ron

[Image: P6260388.jpg]
[signature]
Good to know, as I said I have never heard of this failure before. With Outcasts reputation, that is not a good thing to hear.
Don't they test their boats? But they are made Overseas.
[signature]
Sure they test them but the workers over sea's are what 4 foot tall and weigh 75 pounds?[laugh]
We got some big old boys trying to stand up on them and it ain't working. Ron
[signature]
They use to be one of the top pontoons, too bad.

Back to standing platforms, I have the X5 which offers a bigger"sliding" standing platform than the other fishing pontoons out there. Made out of Aluminum so no chance of rust either. Slides like butter too.
This is the same frame offered on the Skykomish as well which you can find on KSL or Graig's list from time to time.
[Image: IMG_1130.jpg]
[signature]
That deck doesn't look any bigger than mine is Mine is 24" wide and 21 long on the front deck. The back deck is 24" wide and 10" long. The second deck in the back that is for a cooler, battery, Standing, a place for my feet when I go in reverse, what ever. I added a center deck to mine that is nothing more than an aluminum splash guard. This is a picture of my deck from the front.

[Image: deck2_zpse0298c06.jpg]

This is a picture of it from the back.

[Image: deck1_zps4ab628e2.jpg]

Mine is super easy to stand up on but I have never stood up on any other so I can't compare. Mine is also solid so it doesn't feel woogity under your feet. My seat is so high that standing up is no different than standing up from any chair.
Like I said the center spot is not for standing but I do use it for putting my fish basket there or anything that can be wet. As a splash guard it is awesome. Ron
[signature]
Yours is a white water boat Ron. It can be used to fish with, but the over sized pontoons and the frame are designed for white water rivers. A bit more than the average fisher needs. And I said "sliding" . Does yours slide? And it is 29" wide and 16" deep, so it is bigger.[Smile]
[signature]
I don't have a standing deck, but if I did, I would go for the sliding ones. That way I can slide it back and still use my fins. I think I would be lost without being able to use my fins!

To me the advantage of a pontoon over a boat is that I can use my fins and leave my hands free to fish. If I had a standing platform that was there all the time, it would restrict me to oars and motor only.

Nothing wrong with that. It just isn't what I use a pontoon or float tube for. With a permanent standing platform it becomes a small light portable boat. A good thing for some, if that is what you want and need.

It should be easy for a good welder to reinforce and add to an existing frame. I would add a lean bar at the same time. Don't know what it would cost you though.
[signature]
I feel the same way C. We have a boat and use it very little because inevitably, someone has to man the controls instead of fishing as there is VERY few calm days.
To me, the best fishing is when there is chop on the water which is caused by wind[Smile]

The choice I made in Pontoon was researched first. Most bang for the buck. And I found the X5 Outlaw.
Just to put this out there. It is 10'6" long with an aluminum frame and deck. I chose the 24" wide Magnum deck..
Because the toons are connected at one end offers several advantages. Much higher pay load (1000 lbs) it is more stable than two separate pontoons.
Fully functional as a regular pontoon with electric motor.
[Image: IMG_3179_1.jpg]
But, frame may be mounted in opposite direction and it becomes a Zodiac and a GAS motor may be used.
[Image: IMG_0952-1.jpg]
In this picture the seat has a 4" riser. Slide the standing deck out and you have the solid bottom boat.
Go a little farther and add the electric motor to the front to steer.
[Image: x54.jpg]

Now you noticed there are two different color pontoons, mine is yellow, hubby's is red. Which opens another door
[Image: IMG_3802.jpg]
(notice the size of the gentleman in the front.

And at the end of the year, boat is stored for the ice
[Image: IMG_2467.jpg]

One last thing, they are bladderless so not only lighter and stronger material with no stitches, but no chance of sand getting in to bladders.

Specks are: length 10'6" width 60" pontoon diameter 15" over all weight 65 lbs.

Just my choice in the stand up pontoon. Yours may vary..[cool]
[signature]
To me they are the Caddie of pontoons, but unfortunately for both the OP and me the price is up there. They are worth every penny. Top quality stuff, as is Ron's whitewater raft. But bucks!!
[signature]
Avenger (best!!), X5, Assualt XX, or Rampage... BOOYAH!!!
[signature]
[quote cpierce]I don't have a standing deck, but if I did, I would go for the sliding ones. That way I can slide it back and still use my fins. I think I would be lost without being able to use my fins!

To me the advantage of a pontoon over a boat is that I can use my fins and leave my hands free to fish. If I had a standing platform that was there all the time, it would restrict me to oars and motor only.

Nothing wrong with that. It just isn't what I use a pontoon or float tube for. With a permanent standing platform it becomes a small light portable boat. A good thing for some, if that is what you want and need.

It should be easy for a good welder to reinforce and add to an existing frame. I would add a lean bar at the same time. Don't know what it would cost you though.[/quote]

On my boat I sit on the standing deck when I want to use my fins. I get the best of ALL worlds. Ron
[signature]