Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
pontoon with trolling motor
i have a 9 foot trout unlimites pontoon and i go out to the lakes and the bay. i put a 30 thrust endura on it this week. i have 2 12 volt 12 amp agm batteries out of my sons old scooter and was wondering if that would run my motor for an hour or so, i just use it to go out then to get back in, most of the time im rowing or finning. help dont know much about dc volts. the trolling motor draws around 12 to 14 amps on srd speed, which is all i need.any the batteries are so small and light it would be cool if it would work.
[signature]
Is it an Electric Scooter and is it a Deep Cycle battery. If so them, then it should.
Suggestion, take the bolt and nut that hold the head of the motor out. Gently turn the head 180 degrees so it is facing the same as the prop. The use a knitting needle or a pick to put in the bolt hold to push the wiring out of the way and put the bolt and nut back. You now have all five forward speeds to pull you which will take less power then trying to push you. You can steer with your feet and fish while you are motoring.
[signature]
Maybe for an hour total use from BOTH batteries drained close to empty, depending on conditions. Freezing temperatures will reduce both expected speed and run time. Also, previously used deep cycle battery performance decreases with age or after about 200 cycles. Deep discharges and improper/non immediate recharges after each use are battery enemies.

Hope this helps.

Pon

[quote jiml100]i have a 9 foot trout unlimites pontoon and i go out to the lakes and the bay. i put a 30 thrust endura on it this week. i have 2 12 volt 12 amp agm batteries out of my sons old scooter and was wondering if that would run my motor for an hour or so, i just use it to go out then to get back in, most of the time im rowing or finning. help dont know much about dc volts. the trolling motor draws around 12 to 14 amps on srd speed, which is all i need.any the batteries are so small and light it would be cool if it would work.[/quote]
[signature]
I would need more information on the battery's to answer that question. First, like others have said, it would need to be a deep cycle battery. Any ratings on the label will give you more information about the battery. Judging what I know about scooters is that they probably won't last very long. The best test would be to just give them a try.
[signature]
[cool][#0000FF]Any source of 12v DC current will run your electric motor...for SOME period of time...at SOME speed. But you will obviously be happier with a good deep cycle battery with higher amp-hour ratings...even for minimal use.

When I first started putting a sonar on my float tube I was using an old heavy flasher unit...powered by two 6 volt lantern batteries wired in series to produce 12 volts. It worked, but the batteries didn't last long and were not rechargeable.

Next I used 12 vold lead-acid motorcycle batteries. They were designed for running the motorcycle electric and being constantly recharged by the system. They also did not last for many cycles of deep discharge and recharging.

I have been very happy with the SLA 12 volt batteries we now have for running sonars, but in testing them on running my electric motor I can tell you they don't last long at all.

If your batteries are rated at 12 amp hours, that does not mean you can run them wide open for 1 hour. If your batteries begin the trip at 13 volts on the tester they will begin to drop voltage until they get down to the 12 volts or less level. By then you are running much slower. At some point your motor will not run at all...even though it is not completely drained. If the voltage drops below the level needed to move the motor it will not work.

Without knowing all of the specifics of the battery the best I could suggest would be to run them either one at a time or wire them in tandem to produce one larger 12 volt battery. Be sure you do it right or you will be sending 24 volts. You can find wiring diagrams online. Then take your toon out and put it through the paces. Take a voltage reading on the batteries before you launch and then again after you get back. That will tell you a lot.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Like my question and others, need more info on your battery. I use the big Deep Cycle 29 and can get a couple days of 1 to 3 power setting on the motor. I have used one of these batteries (meaning the huge, heavy ones) to power my float tube and my pontoons for around 25 years now. They flat out work.
Just get a battery box and don't tip it over, not hard to do as I have never done it.
The AGM's are a "little" lighter, cost more but no acid. But some require special chargers.
Last year I tried a Golf Cart/wheel chair battery which is a deep cycle. Smaller, lighter. I can get five to seven hours of same power running.

But, when push comes to shove, yes they are heavy, but I can handle it. The price is great and I get about four years of heavy use:
http://www.walmart.com/search/search-ng....173767&wl4=
[signature]