Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Life preservers
We like wearing life preservers while in our tubes, I know most dont. we wear suspenders but have been looking at inflatable waist preservers. Does anyone have any experiance with these? we think they may be even more out of the way in a tube. Thanks
[signature]
I never thought of them for tubing. The waste pack was designed for stand up paddleboards but float tubes could be another handy use for them. The ones I sell by MTI can be worn on the front or the tack and they aren't that thick. Check this out and for bigfish members I can offer a great discount. Send me a PM or call me if your interested.
[url "http://www.beatthebigboxboys.com/store-products-MTI-4008-MTI-Inflatable-Waste-Belt-Pack_1098085452.html"]http://www.beatthebigboxboys.com/store-products-MTI-4008-MTI-Inflatable-Waste-Belt-Pack_1098085452.html[/url]
[signature]
Even no PFD works in a semi-controlled emergency, like when floating in tight groups of people and not far from shore, in warm water, etc. The tube itself is likely to have at least one section which remains intact long enough to keep you afloat for rescue. Unless you have a motor/battery on your unit, which is likely to take you down fast, maybe trapping you before you can get out.

I like the automatic/manual/mouth inflatable suspender type, which would help in true life threatening situations. The air pockets in the suspenders will flip you so your face is out of water for breathing, and are so thin/comfortable your motion is not affected in a tube, (unlike most fishermen's vests). They can be partially inflated for extreme hazard situations, should one desire extra confidence about the self inflation mechanism. With extra capacity built in (even when partially inflated), they are more comfortable than the conventional types for me, because the bubble pushes out of the way when you move around. I don't see how waist pak types would help much, unless you go over at full function, where you can use the extra buoyancy to tread water with your face out.

Whatever type you use, always test them ASAP to see if they will do the job for you.

Hope this helps.

Pon

[quote smallwaterpro]We like wearing life preservers while in our tubes, I know most dont. we wear suspenders but have been looking at inflatable waist preservers. Does anyone have any experiance with these? we think they may be even more out of the way in a tube. Thanks[/quote]
[signature]
I have an Onyx.

I really like it. It is light, packs small, and is easy to deploy.

You can also manually inflate it for use on a river etc. Make sure that you de-arm the pack first so that you can't activate the cartridge also.

Here is a vid on it in action. You do have to put it over your head. On a float tube I can't imagine any situation that you would not be able to do that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DB1K2wJC8Vc
[signature]
Thanks for the film clip, CP.

Likes: Very compact, simple to put on waist/wear for thin people in a tube, anyone in 'toon. Good quality materials. Face up floating if you get it over your head as pictured. Can be worn partially inflated by mouth in the over the head configuration for excellent protection. I usually remove the cannister when doing this and plug the cannister hole with a matching thread steel bolt to prevent accidental overinflation and to keep debris/silt out of hole.

Dislikes: Manual inflation tube access difficult/impossible to access until deployed by cannister or for cannister failure, or for partial/back up inflation-especially in a tube. Requires jumping out of tubes/maybe toons as pictured for slipping over head- so initial separation from support vehicle. No auto inflation if you are unconscious /panicked. Floataion center is at waist and you will have to fight to put over your head, unless you are capable of righting yourself quickly as shown, face will be below water if you don't succeed getting over your head.

Recommend testing and practicing with this one before anyone goes out to verify above dislikes, but I think estimations are spot on, JFMH experience....

Pon
[signature]
[quote pontoonman]

Dislikes: Manual inflation tube access difficult/impossible to access until deployed by cannister or for cannister failure, or for partial/back up inflation-especially in a tube. Requires jumping out of tubes/maybe toons as pictured for slipping over head- so initial separation from support vehicle.

Pon[/quote]

Just to clarify, you do NOT need to jump into the water to inflate these and put them over your head. You CAN open the Velcro at anytime and manually inflate it by mouth and put it over your head. Once the Velco is released it just unfolds. The manual inflation tube is not blocked or out of reach even when it is buckled on your waist.

Just because they demonstrated it by jumping in the water it doesn't mean that being in the water is the only way to inflate it or get it tied on over your head. They work pretty simply and effectively. Something this light and nonrestrictive is more likely to be worn.

I wouldn't recommend it to run class V rapids, but I would recommend it for tubes and toons. I consider wearing it a much better alternative than having a pfd over the back of your seat that you don't wear because it is uncomfortable.
[signature]