Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
new sturgeon adventure
Today I wanted to go somewhere that had calm water. I recently changed the water pump impeller in my motor and wanted to test it out. I ran the boat about 9 miles testing it out and finding deep holes to find sturgeon.
I saw a fish on the fish finder and decided to see if I could get him to bite. Here is the video. Right at the start the fish jumps only about 4 or 5 foot from the boat. Then it jumps a second time. Here it is. Ron
[signature]
Nice looking fish. Nothing like getting pulled around by a fish. Thanks for sharing. [cool]
[signature]
gotta be fun catching one...what do u catch them with and how?
[signature]
I have used everything from a medium action Ugly stick trout rod, to a medium action big game rod like the Sturdy stick.
For bait I use trout, and squid. I get them from the fish hatchery about two times a month as I need them. I try to keep them as fresh as I can.

When I came into the hole I normally cover the hole with the fish finder to see who is home. After I mark a couple fish on the fish finder I go after them.
When I fish the hole I normally drift. I try to do it as slow as I can. If the wind is behaving I can fish still that is better. If not I try to keep in the same place.

After hooking up the important thing is too keep them from going under you. As you can see on my video's they jump a lot. If they are under you and jump it could be a problem. Sturgeon have scutes. Those are bony protrusions sticking out from their back sides and belly. At times they are very sharp and can easley cut your hand or pontoon. Handling them can be very risky. Luckily the big ones almost always have the scutes dulled off from rocks. That said they should be handled with care. They must be landed on your legs/lap with inflatable boats. When they come in they turn upside down and float up to you. At that point you bring them up on your legs. IF you try to land them against the side of the boat you run a risk of popping your boat.

When you go to release them I hold their nose and head in my hands and start to kick. Then I push them away to get some distance between us. The can freak out when released.
The 8 foot one I caught a couple weeks ago was so heavy I had a hard time landing him. It was a ton of fun. If you watch my videos on youtube you can get a good feel for how I fish. Ron
[signature]