Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
East Canyon
I've been watchin BFT off and on for over a year. Seems like there are some knowledgeable people on here. I joined up on the North Team for the BFT 2013 Cat Fish Contest. Only problem there, only cat I caught his year so far was a fat momma full of eggs at Willard the weekend BEFORE the fuel spill at the north end. Since then been too cold I guess, and when it hasn't been,....well some of us do still work for a living (sort of). Anyway I have 4 sons, almost 40, almost 36, 23, and just turned 21. Last Sunday #3 son and I went to Hyrum to see if we could hook up any of those tagged trout they turned loose. Well, he caught 2 small planter rainbows, I got skunked. The wind didn't help much............
Then today #1 son and I decided to give East Canyon a go. After the extreme drop in water level last fall, thought that is we could get the boat in now, the fishys may be just a bit more concentrated. We have always done fair to midlin in late fall and early spring before all the high speed boats show up . But today was a beautiful day, air temp a bit cool at 28 -29 at 0800. Water temp at 44. But before we had made our first complete circle from ramp to dam and back I had boated and released one small healthy rainbow, and son #1 had a couple false hits. As the day turned warmer, and calmer, we had a few more hit & runs with no hook ups. Then he almost boated one. And shortly after that I boated my second CR rainbow. The weater got even nicer, and we headed south pretty much down the middle of the lake. Some where near the outhouse on the west side hill, he finally hooked and boated and released one, and shortly after that, another. All fress planters not bigger that 10-12 inches.
Made the big U turn at the wide spot near the outhouse, change up what we had been dragging. I hooked on a #7 countdown Rapala in black top and silver belly, we puttered back north.
Within about 10 minutes of hookin up that Rapala, my rod bent over, the drag started singing, and it acted just like I had hooked a rock (which I have done more time than I can count). But when I got a grip on the reel, tightened down the drag a bit, I could feel the pull for the bottom, and the head shake. "Hey, K, this one feels pretty good size" But then again we have had lots of bows hit hard and run deep that when we boated them, they were less than 12 inches and not much over half a pound.
Well, this one was different for sure. He tangled up both our lines, and headed west while we headed north. Got him within sight of the old "Tin-Can" (my boat) and the adrenaline rush started. Was a flash of yellowish brown, and then into the net, and "hey, K, it;s a Brown, and a good size one too" Turns out, not the biggest I'm sure, but first Brown I've caught at East Canyon in 9 years of fishin there. I'm happy, and the day was a win as far as I am concerned.
[signature]
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
Nice! Thanks for the report.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]First of, let me wish you a very warm welcome to the site. Second, congratulations on a very nice brown trout. I've been fishing East Canyon for over 20 years and have never caught a brown there. Very nice; very nice indeed.[/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
Went up there today fishing was slow but we managed to catch a few trulling harnesses and jointed repalas .All got a good sun burn and run the boat for the first time this year it ran great and that is always a good feeling after winter .
[signature]
Thanks for the friendly words Bob. If you ever see me in my little 14ft. Lund "Tin-Can" on the left transom, say hi.
[signature]
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
Nice brown and great tale.
[signature]
That is a good looking brown. I got one at east canyon ice fishing two years ago. He was about that same size. They sure get pretty in the lakes!
[signature]