Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Catfish setups.
So, as you guys know, I'm getting back in the game of fishing. I have 2 rods right now, both medium action rods with decent reels that are just fine for catching crappies and trout, although I'm not sure about some of the ones you guys are catching. Most of mine are 12-14 inchers, pan size out of creeks.

My father in law has a great place on the river a few miles south of Swan Falls, so I often stop there and occasionally catch a catfish if I decide to fish.

My question is what would be a good setup to catch big catfish? I've caught a few there that are in the 25-30 inch range, but I'm also considering targeting some bigger fish maybe further down the river towards Brownlee this summer, and my current setups feel like they might be lacking if I were to hook up to something bigger.

Looking for rod, reel and line suggestions. Thank you guys. This is now one of my favorite forums to visit, I've got a lot of reading to do on the main forum, but I will eventually get caught up.
[signature]
I agree this forum is awsome! When im going for the big ones wether it be cats or trout i use a 7 foot med. action rod lined with Power Pro braided 30lb. As a matter of fact Wally World sells an awsome combo selection and Cabela's is having a great sale on fishing stuff as well. Good Luck! and i hope i helped at least a little.
[signature]
It depends on if your bank fishing or in a boat, tube, or toon. I fish out of a inflatable pontoon. I have landed a 7 foot sturgeon on a medium action Ugly stick trout rod with a mitchell 400 reel. That rod and reel is for trout and it sounds like it is the same class as what your using. To be honest if your on the water you can get by with lighter gear but if your on the bank I would go big. For my heavy cat rod for the bank I use a Medium heavy 8 foot Glow stick with a Abu 6601 Left hand reel. I have 80 pound test on it. Most of the time I use it for Sturgeon but I do use it for cats like I said from the bank.

For my pontoon and float tube I use a medium action 6.5' trout rod with a mitchell 300 reel. It has 20 pound power pro braid line. My other cat rod is a Ultra light ugly stick with a UL reel. It is loaded with 15 pound power pro braid.

I catch a LOT of big cats on the ultra light. I like it because I can feel light bites better. My son uses a Barbie fishing pole because it is east to detect the light bites.

The one thing that cats do that will screw you up is they will head for cover after getting hooked. If your on the bank your hosed unless your using a big set up. In a boat or inflatable you can control the situation more and keep them out of the thick stuff. Like I said I catch a lot of big cats with the ultra light. These pictures were all cats that were caught with an ultra light. Ron

[Image: 4-27-13JLARGE_zps03aede90.jpg]

[Image: Nyssa5.jpg]

[Image: 3-16-10-2.jpg]
[signature]
as far as line, I fish alot, so I go cheap, Berkley big game at walmart in 12 lb. for me, rod I use my 8 1/2 ft. steelhead rod, but also use a ugly stick cheapo and it works just as good, my steelhead rod has a Flueger president on it and the cheapo is well a cheapo..... as far as rigging pretty simple, 1 oz. slip sinker, bead, swivel, 8"-12" leader and a 2/0 octopus circle hook, and what ever bait you got that will fit on that hook,
Matt
[signature]
I have a 8ft spinning rod and a 10ft casting rod both are Berkeley glow sticks the 8ft spinning rod i use 4000 size reel with 17lbs suffix line and on the casting i have a cheap okuma classic xp casting reel it is cheap but works great and it holds over 350 yards of 20lbs test mono plus if i change the line out to 80lbs braid it works double duty for banking sturgeon i have found it takes a heavy rod to cast enough weight to stay down in the current especially if you are fishing around swan falls also i like to use a 0/8 gamma circle hook seems huge but i like fishing for the big ones so it makes it easy to release i fish this area a lot pm me if you would like to know some good spots to try
[signature]
Ron and Oskolkoff, great pictures of great fish.

Right after I started this post, my wife took our boys on a play date, so I snuck over to Sportsmans Warehouse. I ended up buying an 8 foot medium heavy combo and some 30 lb braid, some 1 oz sliding sinkers, some swivels and some 2/0 circle hooks. I can't get too crazy on gear since I just bought (to sell of course, lol) a brand new bow that my wife doesn't really know about yet.

Thats pretty close to what Duckslayer suggested, I really did buy it before I read your reply. So it seems like I'll be in the ballpark. After fishing with this stuff for a while, I'll be able to decide if I'd like to change something.

Ron, I will be fishing almost exclusively from the bank at this point, so I opted for a little heavier gear. My buddy does have 3 pontoons similar to yours. I told him about your sturgeon you caught with them and he's scared!!! By the end of the summer, if there's any water left, we'll be out in the pontoons catching cats and hopefully sturgeon.

Oskolkoff, I'll be in touch about some spots. My father in laws place is right near the Blue Canoe, so its just down from Celebration Park.

Thanks again for all your help guys.
[signature]
Since your an archery guy I will invite you too go fishing sometime in the boat, PM me your number and I will get ahold of you,
Matt
[signature]
well if you are fishing down at the pump house off of con shea road you will do good chicken liver or cut bait works well for bait
[signature]