Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
East Canyon Crawdad Munchers
I set out to East Canyon to pursue some Smallies in hope that one of them might have a Cabela's Tag.

I arrived at 6:30 and the action was hot. 2-3 three feet for the shore. Casting parallel along the rocky points around the damn. If you didn't catch a rock, then you would catch a fish. The fishing slowed at 8:00.

The method was a very slow retrieve pausing sporadically. The colors that worked the best were Motor Oil, Watermelon, and Pumpkin Seed.

I caught 12 smallies and 1 brown. I missed a few and had a few get off including a nice tiger trout. Sometimes it was tough to distinguish between rock and fish.

Be careful if you go to pursue these guys, the rocks are loose and pretty unforgiving.
[signature]
Is that a 3 or 4 inch tube jig you were using in various flavors?
[signature]
Do they have a list of type fish of fish tagged in each lake? All I can see is a list of waters. It seems like last year they had tagged a rainbow for East Canyon.
[signature]
2 and 1/2 to 3 inches. I tried a couple of 4 inchers, but the extra weight of 1/2 ounce jig head gets jarred in the rocks easier.
[signature]
As far as I know they don't specify what species. I know this time of year is a good time to get on smallmouth and was hopeful one would be it.

If you want to catch rainbows without a boat, then powerbait and worms are your best bet.

I talked to a buddy and he said the crappie are starting to come on as well at east canyon.

It's a good time of year to catch a mixed bag.
[signature]
Nice. Are you using a 1/4 ounce or 1/8 ounce jig head?
[signature]
Mostly 1/4 ouncers, because that is what I had more of. I think the 1/8 ouncers are easier to manage, but I didn't have a lot of them rigged up.
[signature]
is the road open from the I80 side?
[signature]
Not Yet.
[signature]
Nice to see bass getting caught. It looks like you had a great day!
[signature]
It tis the season. The trout are in shallow too. It is a great time to catch a mixed bag.
[signature]
Anyone know water temp at EC from the weekend or today>? Thank you

Anyone have a good weekend of fishing up there by chance?
[signature]