Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Time for repairs
The rod rack portion of my motor mount rack perished today. Time for a new rebuild, unless. I might be able to salvage it by drilling out the broken piece and gluing in a new one.
[signature]
[cool][#0000FF]That's why I no longer glue my projects. I use two 1/2" screws on all connections and they hold as well as glue. Plus, when the inevitable breakage occurs, or if you want to make alterations, you can easily take it apart for replacement or changes.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
I wondered about PVC and motors. I know it is strong stuff, but using it for sprinklers tells me it is not that strong, plus UV damage.
[signature]
The motor part is good. This part plugs into the rack to hold the rods in place and other needed accessories.
[signature]
[#0000FF][cool]The big enemy of PVC, when used as a construction material, is torque. And the first thing to go is a stressed joint. Making a motor mount from PVC requires that it be well-reinforced and tied down securely to reduce the stress and strain. But most of the pieces are not too long so it is possible to fab a very strong and secure mount from schedule 40.

[/#0000FF]
[signature]
There are two design flaws that I would like to work on but are difficult.

1. The part that broke is a schedule 40 joint
2. Due to not fitting on the trailer when in place this part must be removed and replaced every trip.

Schedule 40 is strong but not that strong. I have moved to schedule 80 conduit which is a stronger material. Only problem is connections are still schedule 40 for schedule 80 are unavailable. The break is at a stress point so I knew it was only a matter of time. I can glue the part but it is only a temporary fix and will break again.

When the time comes and I have to replace the whole motor mount, the idea of the harbor freight hitch rack is a good one. I found that they offer one in aluminum as well.. The problem is figuring out how to attach rods to it.
[signature]
"The problem is figuring out how to attach rods to it."

[#0000FF]There are "Saddle clamps" available in PVC to attach to metal toon frames or something like the hitch from Harbor Freight. They go around the metal and then you can attach PVC pipe and fittings to them.

Let me know when you are ready to make some mods and bring your rig by. I can possibly suggest some alternatives.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
I know that rack is a slick idea. I have the aluminum one already. But it is a little heavy. You might have to adjust your frame on the pontoons.
[signature]
Naturally! I figured for it to haul stuff on a car there would be a weight issue just to make it strong enough.
[signature]