Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New rod holder
Ok since I got my new 8 wt fly rod I found that the handle was just a little too big for the current rod holders I had made. So back to the work bench. I came up with a great design that still will be tweaked. Best thing is that it is not permanant (not glued) so I can move it around as needed. I went with a piece of ABS for the tube and PVC for the joints. I also used a Saddle clamp to attach it to my current workings. The next area of making it better is I am thinking of replacing the T joint with a an elbow if I can find one that would fit. Heres the pics! Now its time to go try it out. Time to FISH!!![cool]

[inline "DSCN1799 - 400.jpg"]

[inline "DSCN1797 - 400.jpg"]

[inline "DSCN1798 - 400.jpg"]
[signature]
Very cool. Love the Saddle-clamp idea. Did you get that at Home Depot in sprinkler dept?
[signature]
Yes I did. Lowes has them too.
[signature]
Great idea. You might want to make the slip for the rod more narrow. The width of the reel seat.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGdMwfWEw-E

And if that is an End Cap on the bottom, might want to rethink that more as a drain.
But you are on your way.
[signature]
I tried doing that but the rod handle was receiving damage so I had to make it just a little bit bigger.
[signature]
Damage? PVC too small?
[signature]
No not too small, rod fit nicely. Because the reel seat fit snugly the cork would scrape the edges where I cut out. I did sand down to smooth but due to the tight fit damage was trying to occur so I widened it a little. As you can see from this pic the handle rests a little funny so I had to widen it. It is still snug though with the reel on the rod. Another thought is I can always attach a piece of Velcro to the top of the tube which looks like it would push the rod back a little. As seen in the second pic. The third pic shows the handle and why I needed different materials this time.
[signature]
The handle is called a FULL WELLS and I see the fighting butt is oversized. I have a few rods that I have seen this before[Smile]
You can do the velcro as you had to go with a larger PVC tube because of the butt, or you can cut a side notch to hold the reel seat tight instead of the cork.

[Image: IMG_3539-1_zps3b8ee576.jpg]

This is the way the Scotty's are built.
[signature]
I will have to see how that design will work. Where I have the holder placed right now it is between two other rods. Another spot I thought about would be on the outside of the rack on the motor side. I gotta see how the reach is first. My arms are only so long. [Tongue].
[signature]
Great! Let me know how that works with the fly rod sticking straight up. I have always seen them staggered at an angle. 9 feet in the wind can make a mess[Smile]
[signature]
I've done it with my other two 5 wt rods fine. They are 8'6" and 9' . The design of this holder also makes it so I can turn it at an angle if needed. I wanted this design to be able to handle many different conditions as necessary.[Smile]
[signature]
Great Job
[signature]
Thanks! If everything works as planned with this holder I will make some more. I have a couple of reels without friends feeling lonely. A spinning reel and a 4 wt reel. [cool]
[signature]
Here is the design change with the elbow only.
[signature]
Don't forget a drain hole...it could get nasty in the elbow.
[signature]
That's true, never thought of that.
[signature]