Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brrrr!! Flaming Gorge
Took the boat out to Lucerne today. The boat ramp was pure ice and the bay was white capped. By the time I got across Linwood and into the canyon, the arm of my coat was frozen like a cast. I could hardly move it to break the ice off. We caught 20 or so Kokanee. It was too windy and cold to fish for the Macs in the bay. Only the charters made it out to Linwood this evening. I'm definately ready for ice fishing after today. Kemmerer reservoir is frozen, but Viva Naughton is still open.
[signature]
Thanks for the report. Nice to see some of the wyoming reservoirs are starting to cap over. I'm sure the cold spell will freeze up some of the ponds around here!
[signature]
Here are some pictures from todays trip.
[signature]
Another try at the pictures. How do you get them to open with the text?

[size 2][#ff0000]Just lending you a hand[/#ff0000] [/size][Smile], [#ff0000][size 2]Teroy[/size][/#ff0000]

[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=1708;]

[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=1709;]
[signature]
Hey them are some nice fish . Way to go . It looks cold on that water !
[signature]
Nice Kokes, fun to catch aren't they!
[signature]
Fishry. you guys are tuff,that looks cold.
[signature]
Fishry, do you know if Woodruff, or birch creek is frozen over?
[signature]
Cute kid Fishry and some nice looking kokes, did you catch them in open water? You said you caught them in the canyon, are you talking about Horseshoe canyon? What were you using to catch them? WH2
[signature]
Towards the entrance to Horseshoe canyon close to shore. Using home-made jigging spoons given to us by some really nice locals. The spoons are simular to a small buzz bomb. That's my friends kid, but he is cute. He didn't even complain about the cold and ask to leave early.
[signature]
Thanks for the info, I've never caught kokes that look like that unless they were in the stream spawning, the fish you caught must have been staging before they spawned. Did you weigh or measure any?
Few kids won't complain when the fishing is that cold, he must like fishing, another fisherman in the making. WH2
[signature]
Some schools of Kokanee actually spawn in the lake at Flaming Gorge. This is mainly on the Wyoming side, hence the regulation in Wyoming that says all kokanee caught between October 5th and November 9th must be immediately released. I didn't know this until I moved to Wyoming. I also didn't know that they spawned this late in the year until a couple of weeks ago. I didn't weigh or measure them. I was in a hurry to snap a picture and let them get on with their business of making more for me to catch in the future. A couple of weekends ago a guy in the boat next to me caught on that was 0.1 lbs under the state record.
[signature]
Those are some really great looking kokes! Sure looks like it was a cold day though. Thanks for sharing the info.
[signature]
That is some interesting information, I've never heard of anyone catching a Koke that big this time of the year. I thought all kokanee spawned in the rivers but I guess I should have figured it out because a couple of years ago, when I was in Alaska I found the same thing was true with King salmon. The reason it happened there was the Fish and Game would put the left over eggs from the spawned fish in the bay so the fish came back to the same place to spawn. It sure was weird to see all those fish swimming in a circle in the bay. Were the kokanee you were catching swimming in a circle? WH2
[signature]
A few were jumping. I didn't see any swimming in circles. There were 3 or 4 balde eagles circling and sitting on the cliff ledges above us waiting for the kokanees to die.
[signature]
what were the kokes hitting in spawn form like that?

just curious.
[signature]
Things that annoy them. Like buzz bombs. Things that resemble annoying little fish invading their territory, darting in to eat their eggs. I was using home made jigging spoons that resembled buzz bombs. Thanks Teroy!!!
[signature]
i was just curious cuz i had tried for quite a few years on the green and never could figure out what they would hit.
[signature]

Earlier this fall we got the kokanees in the Green River to hit Bright red and yellow wooley buggers tied with flash in the tail. To do this we had to sight fish for them, add weights to the line, and get the buggers right in front of their face. If you could hold the wooley buggers within a few inches of their nose for 10 seconds or so (not an easy thing to do in the current) they would usually hit. The other trick is finding a "pod" of kokanees that are not in the stretch below the Fontanell dam which is closed to fishing for them. I know of at least one place where they congregate in "legal" water. Don't ask where because I am not even sure if I could find it again, let alone describe how to get there. We waded about a mile upstream from the road to get there. That was an eventful day. When I get the pictures developed I will post them and have a good story to go with them.
[signature]